Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Disk usage pinned at 100%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DejoMasters

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

I came into a used laptop from a family member, and decided to upgrade it to Windows 10. Everything was fine for a little while, but recently I noticed the file explorer and the start menu not opening. It was strange, so I took a look in the task manager, and discovered that the drive usage was pinned at 99 percent, occasionally jumping to 100 for a few seconds. There seemed to be no cause for it, so I tried disabling a couple bits of software from the advice on online forums. No luck. But, it just so happened I had a drive from an old laptop, which also ran Windows 10 (had previously run XP, but I installed the tech preview on it and it ran really well, so I kept it). I swapped the drive out and found the problem resolved, so I decided to just keep that drive in there. However, just yesterday, I started my computer and ran into a major slow down. Strange, so I hopped into the task manager, and the drive was pinned, this time dipping no lower than 100%.

Now, I don't use the computer that often because it has some overheating issues. I.E., the geniuses that made it threw in an i7 and mobile GPU, but decided that one dinky little fan was plenty. So, the computer, in the past, would crash every hour or so from overheating and I could easily get the CPU to 100 degrees (Celsius) when running a stress test. I'm thinking that the computer's tendency to run so warm might be the issue.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

100 C?  That's enough to cause damage.  No wonder it shut down so much.  I wish you luck, but if you can't do something to fix that overheating, I don't hold out much hope.  I hope I'm wrong.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

It might be worth your while to run a test or two on the hard drive. The simplest one, not a test but analysis, would be Speccy which will let you see the SMART characteristics of your drive, especially if either of them have exceeded the recommended temperature limit of 50C. Speccy is available as a free download from BC.

If Speccy says there are no problems on the drive then the Seagate Tools CD on the drive. Try the short test first and if that shows no critical errors try the long testt. This too is a free download from Seagate.

Chris Cosgrove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users