Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

Okay I have asus ROG core i7 with 16gb ram, nvidia 970m 1tb ssd running windows 10 latest update, I think 1155 if I remember omcorrectly. So I went on vacation and connect to the hotel router but I have no internet despite other devices connecting fine. Ironically my desktop has the exact same issue at home with similar specs. Connects to network with no internet. But that's a whole other post trying to figure that out.

So I saw a video where someone uninstalled the Microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter.
1. Go to device manager
2. View hidden devices
3.network adapters
4.right click Microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter uninstall
5. Reset the pc

This worked bam instant internet. But then my pc restarted everytime I turned it on at completely random times. Sometimes I couldn't even log in without the pc freezing completely requiring a restar or restarting on its own typically below 5 min of being on. The solution was reinstalling the nvidia 970m driver which in turn reinstalled the Microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter and left me with no internet. At home the laptop connects to my router and has internet. My desktop connects but has no internet. When I get back home I think it may not work, idk yet. The reason. I say this is I think it's a win 10 issue and im lost. I have no idea how to fix it. I do think they are the same issue and it's related to the Microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter. And and all suggestions are welcome and needed!!! Please help!!!!

Edited by Aliogun0022, 07 March 2016 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nagelfar

Nagelfar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

Try going to device manager and uninstalling all your physical network adapters (possibly 2, one being your wifi the other being ethernet). Then Right click network adapter and select scan for hardware changes. If this does not work try restarting your PC and let me know if it worked.

#3 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

This made no difference.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

It sounds to me like you need to replace any drivers you didn't get from Asus with the ones supplied by Asus.  Using anything else for drivers is asking for trouble.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 Nagelfar

Nagelfar

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

As mentioned above it would be best to check on the official manufacturer's website for drivers, check whether the latest ones are specifically for Win10.

#6 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Another update, I right clicked my connection and tried to have windows repair it with administrative priviledges (I realive this isn't completely descriptive but I think you know what I mean). So it told me my network procold were messed up and do I click fix. Well it froze needing a restart again

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

Try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP

At an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X  > cmd as admin

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot.

Are you connecting with Ethernet or Wireless?

#8 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Wireless. I did this the last command to reset said failed. After reset still no internet

Edited by Aliogun0022, 09 March 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

When you did the second command that failed did it give an error message? IF so what did it say? Can you connect using Ethernet or does that fail also?

If you go to Device Manager is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your wireless adapter?

#10 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

When you did the second command that failed did it give an error message? IF so what did it say? Can you connect using Ethernet or does that fail also?

If you go to Device Manager is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your wireless adapter?

No to all. No error code just failed

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

Can you connect via Ethernet?

#12 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:08 PM

Ive not tried this but I can connect other devices to the same routers I can try tommorrow.

Edited by Aliogun0022, 10 March 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#13 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

lots of updates. first of all, attempting a physical connection was a great idea. so I  got home from vacation and my laptop which would connect to my network prior to vacation would connect to the router but wouldn't give me internet access. I tried to connect via ethernet and much to my surprise it wouldn't work. I did a command prompt ipconfig and come to find out I had no dns gateway ip address. It was just blank. Meanwhile on my pc i uninstalled 1511 and had instant internet access with no issues. Back to my laptop, I looked up the DHCP service in services which has two services running. nla and nsc if I remember correctly but the bottom line is they wouldnt respond to a restart command or a stop command. A google search told me that .net framework 1.1 was related to this issue. I am pretty well convinced this is a bug with 1511. With internet access now I created a windows 10 bootable usb stick. Something I should have done long ago. then I used the usb stick created on my desktop to install updates on my laptop and it got internet back. On my desktop I tried running installing the update from the downloaded file and it upgraded to 1511 and I lost internet again. I rolled back and currently I am going to  try installing the updates from the USB stick to see if there is a difference. the downloaded file creates the media on the usb stick so im hoping this will be different and fix this bug. if not im going to roll back and wait. the next update ironically is said to have ".resolves net framework issues and internet connection issues"  

#14 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

There's a new so-called power saving switch in Windows 10 buried deep in the Power applet of the Control Panel.  The clever devils at Microsoft decided to change the default from Maximum Performance to Medium Power Saving.  This works when you're in the same room with your router, but as soon as you move somewhere else, you get intermittent Internet problems.  To change this, go to Control Panel -> Power -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode.  There change the settings to Maximum Performance.  

That drove me crazy when I got my new laptop with Win 10 back in December, but once I changed the setting, it's worked like it's supposed to ever since.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#15 Aliogun0022

Aliogun0022
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

I figure out the issue. I did several things: gpcedit.msc and set to allow the user to change the network location. also I found a box in the wifi settings for a killer bandwith control which I unchecked and instantly got internet back. hate to say it but it was prob vpn. Damn you bill gates.  

thank you all for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users