Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anybody ever had luck retreiving interent history from their isp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

I thought i had a right to this info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darin A

Darin A

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

Most ISPs dont keep an easy database of this info.  In the case of say law enforcement, they can data mine this info, however for privacy reasons most ISPs dont keep records of this info.  It would a case by case basis and due to the manpower to data mine it usually most ISP require a warrent or court order before they will do the work.

#3 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:04 PM

Most ISPs dont keep an easy database of this info.  In the case of say law enforcement, they can data mine this info, however for privacy reasons most ISPs dont keep records of this info.  It would a case by case basis and due to the manpower to data mine it usually most ISP require a warrent or court order before they will do the work.

What are he ways a typical ISP logs or stores this info? Is it typically done by DNS logs? What other ways?

How far back would these databases you speak of go back?

Thanks

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

What kind of records are you looking for? Bandwidth use? Signal levels? Or is this more hypothetical? If not, who is your ISP?

#5 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

What kind of records are you looking for? Bandwidth use? Signal levels? Or is this more hypothetical? If not, who is your ISP?

Things like URLS of sites visited etc. My ISP is Bell Aliant (Canada)

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:46 PM

I read through their ToS and privacy statement, and don't see mention of it one way or another. Where did you read/learn that you should have access to ISP data? I am not familiar with Canadian law or consumer protection agencies(IE FCC). 

Either way, the information they would collect would be limited out of necessity. They might track what IP is assigned to you and those devices MAC addresses, and routes to certain IP's, but that tells them more "where" the traffic is coming/going, not what it is. 

#7 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

I read through their ToS and privacy statement, and don't see mention of it one way or another. Where did you read/learn that you should have access to ISP data? I am not familiar with Canadian law or consumer protection agencies(IE FCC). 

Either way, the information they would collect would be limited out of necessity. They might track what IP is assigned to you and those devices MAC addresses, and routes to certain IP's, but that tells them more "where" the traffic is coming/going, not what it is. 

I'm just one of those guys who thinks "if you are collecting info on me, I should be able to see it too".

I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users