Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Antivirus or update windows update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hey guys, long time!

I've got myself a pretty big issue here, and I really hope you guys can help me figure it out...

I just bought an acer desktop that was barely used with Vista Home Premium on it, that had been reset to factory settings. Of course this knocked it back to sp1, but after a grueling day of updates, I was able to get it back to sp2. This is where things get screwy.

When I tried to dl the security through my isp, Norton 360, it gets to the point where it's "communicating with Norton server", and it sticks there. I've also tried Avast, and the installer completely crashes. I thought running the rest of updates would help, but updates says it will update updates and restart, and when I click install, it jumps to looking for updates. It will sit there like that for hours if I let it. The log says it updated successfully yesterday, but it apparently did not. I am on the admin account, so I have permission, and I checked network settings make sure it wasn't public. I also disabled windows firewall. Nothing works.

I was able to install mbam and run a full scan, which comes back clean. Seems to me that something is missing from windows.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hello MrChanceMan, a longtime Vista user here.

Windows Update has been very slow for Vista and Windows 7 since August, and there is no known fix at the user end. SP2 was released in 2009, so the number of updates since then is large.

Online installers generally require a more modern browser that Internet Explorer 7 to function. If you're in a hurry, I believe you could install Firefox. (Chrome will no longer support Vista beginning next month.) The only IE version that Microsoft still supports on Vista is 9. (It was released in 2011 and has a few more prerequisites after SP2.) You can get IE 9 via Windows Update; but only if you "Click here for details" about free software from Microsoft Update and accept the terms - which would mean even more updates to check for, especially if Office is installed. When you finally get it updated and all desired software is installed, I highly recommend making an image because restoring Vista from the ground up is for the birds, as you have come to realize. Good luck!

#3 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

I downloaded Firefox from the start. Always do. I don't think it's that at all, I think something is corrupted in windows. I still can't get any Antivirus programs to install...

#4 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Well you could open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow. I wonder if the factory image included a free trial of Norton or something else, and if a removal tool was used? MSE is better than generally believed, but Vista users have reported problems with the latest 4.9 update: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606422/windows-vista-x64-bksod-after-login-or-no-access-in-normal-mode-suspect-mse/. I'm sure that Avast and Norton still support Vista, but some products do not.

#5 MrChanceMan

MrChanceMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

I just went ahead and did a clean install of 7 Pro. It appears they still don't have an SP2 :o Unless I'm missing something here. If they don't, I have a question for you. Have you used 10, and do you recommend it? To a user that doesn't much care for an OS that restricts the user more than usual?

Edited by MrChanceMan, 10 March 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#6 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Vista was the last Windows version to get more than one service pack. Like I said, Windows Update has been very slow for Vista and Windows 7 since August, I have not used 10 myself

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users