Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dell XPS 8900 - bcmwl63a.sys BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mky

mky

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

Just purchased a Dell XPS 8900 windows 10 64 bit with 802.11ac + bluetooth 4.0. Every time I run bittorrent I am getting the bcmwl63a.sys and BSOD. I have read to uninstall drivers and install older version. I am not very technical. If someone could please let me know where to find the drivers and how to uninstall current drivers? Or if you can point me in the direction with additional info that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Mky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:17 PM

Hi. . .

bcmwl63a.sys is a Broadcom wifi driver - https://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=bcmwl63a.sys

Check for an update at your system manufacturer's (OEM) support site. Broadcom itself does not update their own drivers. They only do so for OEMs.

It's not unheard of for new systems to need driver updates as these new systems can sit on store shelves for quite a long time. Meanwhile, drivers are updated while the system is on the shelf.

My suggestion -  take the system back (it is brand new after all) and get a different system with an Intel wifi. Intel always keeps their drivers updated; Broadcom and Atheros do not.

I am able to run Windows 10 on a Vista-era system (2008) because it has an Intel wifi adapter and Intel has kept the wifi drivers updated. No way would Windows 10 work on the system if I had Broadcom or Atheros wifi as there would likely be no wifi drivers available. Windows 10 may work just fine, but not the wifi.

It is of course your call here, but if me -- I would take the system back and get one with an Intel wifi adapter so that future Windows OS' will likely function on it.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 07 March 2016 - 10:58 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users