Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional hang while booting up my Windows 10 computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

Hi all!

Occasionally while booting up my computer, it will hang with only the mouse cursor on screen, and subsequently I have to 'force' shut it down by pressing and holding down the power button, and afterwards it boots up normally without any error messages. There is no BSOD.

Until recently (the middle of February) I had another similar problem, namely that my computer would hang while attempting to install device drivers, however I figured out the culprit to be the setting "Automatic restart on system failure", which I changed to Disabled, and it was resolved. :thumbup2:

And somehow, even though the computer did hang, device drivers seemed to be installed anyway, apart from a GPU driver update (resolved by using Windows Update in stead of AMD native drivers), the TH2 v1511 November 10586 OS update (resolved by using MCT) and a PSU device driver (resolved after changing the above mentioned setting).

I have also recently upgraded my UEFI to the latest version (2.50).

I know that I have a missing Ethernet device driver (although I am not using it, as we have a WLAN).

Please review my logs, and suggest what I can do to resolve this, as any help is appreciated. :busy:

I am sorry the Perfmon log is in Norwegian only, but that is my first language; anyway I am including my Piriform Speecy results here.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

· OS - Windows 10
· x64
· Original installed OS on system - Windows 10
· The OS is an OEM version (came pre-installed on system)
· Age of system (hardware) - 4 months
· Age of OS installation is approximately 3 months - yes, I have re-installed the OS several times due to incompatible ext. HDD drivers (not om my system ATM :wink:)

· CPU - INTEL Core i7-6700K 4.0-4.2GHz LGA1151 Boxed/Retail
· Video Card - MSI GK MSI RADEON R9 390X GAMING 8G Twin Frozr V
· MotherBoard - ASRock Z170 EXTREME7+ LGA1151 ATX
· Power Supply - brand & wattage - CORSAIR AX760i 760W PSU Digital ATX

· System Manufacturer - www.ps.no
· Exact model number - Custom built Tundra Workstation

· Desktop

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   843.6KB   3 downloads

Attached File  perfmon.zip   178.5KB   1 downloads

Edited by midimusicman79, 08 March 2016 - 08:11 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

I don't speak any language other than English.

Lucky for me there are 2 things that help:

1)  Most Windows reports have enough English that I can understand them, and

2)  For things that I can't understand, I have a translator available (you :0)

Together we will work through this problem.

Please let the system hang, then generate the following report.  Letting the system hang will make the error (if any) appear earlier in the log, so it's easier for us to find among the many entries in the log:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P2.50x) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Some build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number isn't significant, only that you've checked it, that you've installed any that you find, and that there were no errors mentioned.

The WER section of the MSINFO32 report shows many Windows Update failures.

Please install the drivers for the Ethernet controller.  Feel free to disable the device if it's not needed, but the drivers are necessary so that the system recognizes the ethernet controller and treats it properly.

As you've had issues with the GPU driver, I have to wonder if that's to blame.
FYI - there weren't any repeated errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report - so there may not be any in the Admin log either.

If that's the case, then we'll pursue the video errors (either software or hardware).
You can get a head start on the hardware by running these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:33 AM

Topic closed per OP request to delete.

Louis

Reopened per OP request 8 Mar PM.

Edited by hamluis, 08 March 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

Hi, usasma!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Sorry about the delete/close request, as I unfortunately did not notice that you were reading my topic because I got a little impatient, thinking that my help request was just about a trifle... :(

As it happens, my system hang on its own during boot, after I had disabled the Ethernet controller in UEFI as per your instructions, which proves that the hanging does not have anything to do with the Ethernet controller. :thumbup2:

I checked ASRock's website for a new UEFI version, and in fact there is a new version 2.60, which I have downloaded and will install as soon as I get time (i.e. not yet), and I understand that this could be essential for whether the hanging persists or not, but I will do it during the following day (it is quite a bit late here now).

I have visited Windows Update, however there are no more available updates, i.e. I already have them all, and the cause for most of the errors is that my dad (72) was watching his two favorite TV-shows on December, 18, and actually he stole the whole bandwith on our ADSL/WLAN, thus causing my computer to hang.

I have tried to install the drivers for the Ethernet controller, but unfortunately the computer hangs, however that might just be because I have the WLAN running and maybe I in fact would have to uninstall the WLAN drivers in order to make the Ethernet drivers work, so like I said I rather chose to disable the Ethernet in stead.

Here are your logs attached below as requested:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   854.97KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Perfmon.zip   174.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Admin.zip   14.19KB   1 downloads

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying, but there's just not very many helpers working here.

Windows 8/8.1/10 rely much more  on communicating with the BIOS/UEFI than did earlier versions of Windows.

Enough problems are solved by updating the BIOS/UEFI that it's become a standard suggestion for any system W8 or later.

The problems with the Ethernet drivers suggest that there may be a problem with the Ethernet controller.

Disabling the device in Device Manager unfortunately lets the drivers for the card startup when Windows starts - then the device is disabled, but the drivers still remain in memory.

So, we wonder if there's a problem with the ethernet controller, or if the problem is with the motherboard (presuming that the ethernet controller is built into the motherboard).
So, the next step is to disable the ethernet controller in the BIOS/UEFI - that will prevent the system from using it.

If it's a separate card, please uninstall the software for it, then physcially remove the card from the system.

The Admin event log only contains entries back to 18:51 on 3/8/2016

Are you using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner)?  if so, please stop while we're troubleshooting.

The Admin event log is filled with errors relating to the Broadcom iLine10™ PCI Network Adapter

Similar errors here:  https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=11&model=PCE-AC68&id=20131020043502290&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I'd suggest:

- download a fresh set of the latest, W10 compatible drivers for this device on your system.

- uninstall the current software for this device (from Control Panel...Programs and Features)

- verify that the device is uninstalled from the Network Adapters section of Device Manager (if it's not, then uninstall it by right clicking on it)

- then install the freshly downloaded software/drivers

- then monitor the Admin log for repeated errors referring to problems with the BCM42RLY service

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

Hi again, usasma!

Thank you again for the prompt and suggestive reply! :)

Yes, I have updated the UEFI right now. :thumbup2:

Yes, I have disabled the Ethernet controller in UEFI (not just in Device Manager). Yes, the Ethernet controller is built into the motherboard. This removes outright the missing device error in Device Manager, and actually fixes the error in the Perfmon log as well. :thumbsup:

The reason why the Admin event log only contains entries back to 18:51 on 3/8/2016, is that the eventvwr.msc has a limitation of 250 log entries that can be exported to the Admin event log, and as a matter of fact I had to choose specifically which log entries to include, namely the ones from the exact time that I turned on the computer and so forth, or otherwise the log would only contain BCM42RLY service error entries. And no, I am not at all using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner).

Yes, I have downloaded a fresh set of the latest, W10 compatible drivers for this device (ASUS PCE-AC68) on my system, and am wondering if I should uninstall and install etc., because there is an important note to it, and I therefore quote from ASUS' webpage: :unsure:

ASUS PCE-AC68 Utility 2.1.1.5
It is only for EU sku

Support OS: Win 7/8/8.1/XP/10

Updated driver version to 7.35.315.0

[Please note] This version is driver only. Before installing this version, please uninstall previous PCE-AC68 utility.

Would you say that this is anything to worry about? Or could this actually be a benefit?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 March 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

As I recall, the link that I posted stated that the problem was with the software and not the driver.

Post #6 of the link said:

Through my troubleshooting I found this to be associated with the Wireless Utility and not the driver. Therefore, so long as you shutdown (or don't install) the utility the messages should go away.  The trick is that the utility is not started in the usual places. It is started using a the Windows Task Scheduler. You can run it by typing Taskschd.msc. Once in there you should be able to see a task called PCEAC56WLANMGR (or something like that depending on your card). Right click on it and select end. Then select Disable.

As such, I'd suggest uninstalling the Wireless Utility/PCE-AC68 utility (which may also uninstall the driver).  Then I'd install the fresh copy of the driver and do without the utility.

Edited by usasma, 10 March 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

Hi again, usasma!

Thank you once more for the prompt and advising reply! :)

I have uninstalled the Wireless Utility/PCE-AC68 utility and the driver, as well as installed the fresh copy of the driver and will do without the utility (not like it was doing much anyway as the only thing it could provide, was listing its MAC address :lol:).

I have monitored the Admin log for repeated errors referring to problems with the BCM42RLY service, and fortunately they have stopped altogether! :thumbup2:

I was looking in the Admin logs for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), and found a relevant list for you to see, so I attached it below:

Attached File  Admin2.zip   1.83KB   1 downloads

It is interesting to observe that this above mentioned error is actually being logged regardless of whether the computer hangs or not. Like today, I have booted up my computer three times totally while uninstalling/installing etc., however it has not even hanged once! I am puzzled...what do you think?

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 10 March 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:03 AM

My Admin event log has 2.690 entries - so there isn't a 250 entry limit on my system.

I've also seen others with well over 5,000 entries

I think that the 250 item limit is particular to your system.

You had 3 EventID 41 errors yesterday.

Please review this link and let us know which scenarios apply to you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

For example, if you were turning the computer off by holding the power button down - that would cause an Event ID 41 error.

Also, the Admin log file is sort of a summary of errors.  As such it doesn't have all information in it.
But, the information in it does help us to guess if there are any patterns to the shutdowns - so a filtered log just doesn't do us any good.

In the BSOD reports there are copies of the Application and System event logs - but they are full of Information entries that we really don't need, and then they have a lot of warnings and errors that may/may not be significant.

I use these (if needed) after looking at the complete Admin logfile.

When I look at the complete Admin logfile, I look at the entries from the time BEFORE the EventID 41 error

This is because the Event ID 41 error tells us that the shutdown has already happened.

Then I compare those entries against others that precede the other EventID 41 errors - looking for things that they have in common.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:02 AM

Hi again, usasma!

Thank you once again for the prompt and technical reply! :)

The limit is the maximum amount of error log entries that can be exported to the Admin event log; not how many log entries the eventvwr.msc can record totally.

The Admin log does show 3 EventID 41 errors yesterday, however those actually occured when I booted up/rebooted my computer by clicking on the start menu, i.e. NOT by turning the computer off by holding the power button down.

I have reviewed your link, and the third scenario is what applies to me, especially the highlighted part, and as such I quote:

• The PowerButtonTimestamp is listed as zero. Circumstances can prevent writing the PowerButtonTimestamp information before the computer restarts or shuts down. In this case, a value of zero is logged. This can occur if the power button is pressed and held for at least four seconds when Windows has an operation running that prevents writing the event to disk. You might also see this scenario if the computer is “hard-locked” and therefore unresponsive to any input, and the computer has to be powered off. To determine whether the computer is unresponsive, try pressing the CAPS LOCK key to toggle the CAPS light on the keyboard.
To check whether this scenario is occurring, press the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard. When you do this, if the CAPS LOCK light on the keyboard does not change when you press the CAPS LOCK key, the computer may be completely unresponsive (hard hang).

The link also implies that this scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. To help isolate the problem, the link suggests checking the following items:

• Overclocking: I am NOT overclocking my computer.
  • Check the memory: Unlikely, but I could run a test if need be.
  • Power supply: 760W, which has enough 'head room' -- and I have even obtained an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) such as a battery backup power supply.
  • Overheating: I am monitoring the system with HWMonitor, but there is NO overheating.
  • Defaults: Unlikely, as I have only disabled the Ethernet Controller in UEFI, and NOTHING else.

IMO the Admin log should now show more relevant error entries during a longer time-frame than ever before.

Here are fresh logs attached below:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   890.9KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Perfmon.zip   173.91KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Admin.zip   14.16KB   2 downloads

Edited by midimusicman79, 11 March 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

I have reviewed hundreds, if not thousands of Admin logs from Event Viewer - in many different languages and many different versions of Windows.

Yours is the only one that I have seen limited to 250 entries - but further discussion about this is just going to waste time for both of us.

I will attempt to read the Application and System logfiles to see if there's anything significant in them.

The 2 most significant things I see in the System and Admin logs are:

Errors related to an Acronis DLL: ti_managers_proxy.dll  Please uninstall Acronis temporarily.  Should you decide to reinstall it later on, please be sure that the version that you have is compatible w/W10

Many, many entries related to Windows security.  These seem to be information only, but I'm not familiar enough with Windows security to state that they aren't significant.

I'd uninstall Acronis and see if that helps, if not, I'd resort to the standard troubleshooting techniques:

- System Restore to a point before this happened

- DISM/SFC.EXE (in the quote box below)

- RESET using the Keep My Files option.  This may remove some apps/programs, but will not affect your data

- RESET using the Remove Everything option.  This will remove everything - so backup your data first!

Here's the DISM quote:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

Should you choose to reinstall Acronis after finishing the troubleshooting, be sure to get a fresh copy from the Acronis website - and make sure it's compatible with your version of W10.

Good luck!

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 679 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hi again, usasma!

Thank you for the prompt and constructive reply! :)

For the last three days while our troubleshooting, I have NOT experienced any hang whatsoever, so I will continue to monitor my computer system, and see if it works smoothly. With your insightful help we have made several software improvements during this time. :thumbsup:

According to Acronis website, Acronis is actually compatible with W10, and I have the latest build 6027; BTW in January, 2016 I had a greater problem with Acronis, which was an incompatibility with my GPU driver, however this was fixed by resorting to Windows Update rather than AMD native drivers. :thumbup2:

As goes for the security errors, AFAIK all my security tools are working properly, moreover none of them are throwing any repeated error messages, so IMO these errors are not necessarily much to worry about. :whistle:

Thank you very much for the help! :) It appears that this issue is resolved. :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 March 2016 - 06:57 AM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

There could also be a corruption of the Acronis software - so uninstalling/reinstalling would be the next thing that I'd try if the problem returns.
But, as it's not a problem now - I'd say leave it alone! :0)

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users