Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest Java?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

If you visit the Java Download Website, you'll realize that it says Runtime 5 Update 6 is the latest version of Java; however, I have Java Runtime 5 Update 7 which I know was the latest version. Was there an error with R5U7 forcing them to repeal back to R5U6?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:58 AM

I have update number 6 installed on mine. When i goto control panel, and select java to check for updates, it informs me i have the latest version installed. The computer checks every month automatically for updates, and has never come up informing me of version 7, although i have heard a few times on the BC forum that some have version 7. Whether or not 7 is an official update i dont know, but ive tried the java site and cant find anything regarding update 7! Try using the control panel - java update option and see what what it says about you having the latest version there.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

Was there an error with R5U7 forcing them to repeal back to R5U6?

I haven't heard the definitive answer to that, so I find it strange that Update 6 is offered as the latest version to download. That would explain why some people we have asked to update during a HijackThis log session are posting back that they have updated but 6 still shows up in their log.

Before I go any further with this I want to let everyone who may be reading this know that it is essential to keep Java up to date because Vundo and probably some other malware are being installied because of vulnerabilities in older versions.

I guess the only way at the moment to determine if you have the latest version is to go to Add/Remove thru Control Panel and look for any J2SE Runtime Environment entries. The latest version entry should look like this: J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7

BTW, you may have other J2SE entries. Any that show up with an Update number lower than 7 should be uninstalled to insure it's not exploited.

graveangel, using the updater from the Java Console in Control Panel is known to be flaky. Not dependable at all. Best to update Java manually. It usually is more convenient and user friendly to go to the page Elendil linked to to do this. But when there are problems with it (like there are now apparently) you can usually always go to the following page to do a manual download and install: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Most users just need the runtime environment, so scroll down and look for Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 7 and download it, unless you are into development.

From there do a basic clean install of an updated program.

1. Download and save the setup file to your desktop or designated downloads folder. With Java you'll need to accept the lincense agreement and recommend the offline installation (jre-1_5_0_07-windows-i586-p.exe).

2. Uninstall the old version from the Add/Remove applet via Control Panel.

3. Double-click the setup files you saved to install.

I like to reboot after uninstalling and when setup is complete. I will also usually also go offline and disable my firewall. Sometimes my AV.

Thanks for bringing this up Elendil. It actually took a little work to even find Update 7, and that seems to be the only place you can get it right now. Hope Sun gets it straightened out soon, and if anyone knows what is going on let us know.

Alternatively, if you have update 6 installed you may want to hold onto it until we get more information. I seem to remember someone trying to update to 7 and having problems installing it after they had already uninstalled 6. That may be why 6 is still offered on that page.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#4 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the info Papakid, I will be monitoring this thread along with any others regarding Java here and over at CastleCops to see if anything pops up that can answer our question.
Stanford '14

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the update Papakid (no pun intended)

This is an interesting one. I too will be keeping an eye on this thread. I find it a little strange to say the least that if update 7 is the latest update and working, then why is it not available more easily.

I will post back with any info i find out!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 02:03 PM

Is anyone finding discrepancies with the VERIFY your JAVA Software Installation & Version page?

This is what I get.

We detected your Java environment as follows;
Description Your Environment
Java Runtime Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version: 1.5.0_07

CONGRATULATIONS, you have the Latest version of Java!

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

Just checked mine....... i got....

Java Runtime Vendor:

Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version

1.5.0_07

BBPP6nz.png

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

I get the same, which actually I expected since I did a clean install of 7 quite a while ago. I would be curious to see what the verification says for someone who still has 6 on their system and hasn't yet tried to update in any way.

Graveangel, could you check in Add/Remove and see if you have 7 showing and if not see what the verification page tells you?

I did find a thread in the Java forum about this but no answer:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?thre...83&tstart=0

Evidently that forum is mostly for developers and they don't care much for end users.

here and over at CastleCops

Got a link? I did a quick search over there but couldn't come up with anything. I would be interested in any discussion on the subject.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

According to the information I see in the add/move programs utility, I have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 installed. If I use the Java Control Panel, it checks and replies that the latest is installed on my system. When I test it at the link given:

Java Runtime Vendor:

Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version

1.5.0_06

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:19 PM

I get the same thing....1.5.0_06 Congratulations Blah Blah

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

Just checked mine...

JAVA SOFTWARE for Your Computer

Java Runtime Vendor:

Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version

1.5.0_07

This was the link I updated from just over one week ago.(Is strange it says update 6!) http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

here and over at CastleCops

Got a link? I did a quick search over there but couldn't come up with anything. I would be interested in any discussion on the subject.

Oh no, I didn't start a thread over at CC because this one got several responses rather quickly and as you said, there hasn't been any discussion on this yet. Anyways, this whole thing is a little odd. We who have R5U7 get the ok that we have the latest, yet the older R5U6 also get confirmation that they have the latest; maybe it's just me... but I'm a little confused here :thumbsup:
Stanford '14

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

Im confused as well. :thumbsup:

This is my verification:

Java Runtime Vendor:

Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version

1.5.0_06

According to Java the latest version is:

Release Notes
JavaTM 2 Platform Standard Edition Development Kit 5.0 Update 7
(JDK 5.0 Update 7)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html

Latest Version

* Changes to 1.5.0_07

Earlier Versions

* Changes to 1.5.0_06

:flowers: I may try and update later today to 7 to see what happens.
Posted Image

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,098 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

So it appears the update is available but from a different download page then the one most of us previously used.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

Well i know through add/remove that i only have update 6 installed, but when i attempt to run the version test, i recieve a white box with a red x, no results. Tried emptying the cache amongst other things and still nothing. Its all a little odd because version 6 was working fine.

Im going to attempt update 7 later to see what i get then.

UPDATE:
I have installed update 7 and the version test has recognised this and has informed me that i have the latest version:

Java Runtime Vendor:

Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Runtime Version

1.5.0_07

I have in the meantime sent an email to Sun Microsystems in the hope of finding out why according to version scans both 6 and 7 updates are showing up as THE latest version.
I will keep you updated on any info i recieve!

Edited by graveangel, 02 August 2006 - 11:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users