Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external drive not reading

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BRlAN

BRlAN

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

my external drive F: shows up but does not show any info on the drive or a red or blue meter even, it's been this way for maybe 4 days now

before that, i was getting a cyclic redundancy error for parts of my drive

i have ran cmd as admin and did chkdsk /f F: and chkdsk /r F:  several times but i get something about insufficient space to fix the errors

i would try and copy stuff over to another drive to make room but it seems impossible when i can't even get to any of my stuff to begin with

i've gotten to a point where i no longer know what to do and it's driving me crazy

the fact that there hasn't been a ticking noise and my drive still shows up unlike several of my other HDs in the past where the drive letter disappeared completely and had similar issues to this cyclic redundancy error, makes me want to believe there is at least some kind of hope somehow

Edited by BRlAN, 07 March 2016 - 09:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

Download FatDog64. Burn the iso file to a CD. Boot the disk. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 you may need to disable SecureBoot.

When you get to the Fatdog desktop attach the external drive. A USB icon will appear next to your other devices in the lower left desktop. Click once on it and the drive will mount and a File Manager will open. Do you see your files?

If you do then click once on the sdaX partitions. For Windows 7 it may be sda2 or sda3 for Windows 8. Click once on the icon. If you do not see your Windows files then close the window and select another sdaX partition until you do. 

You will have two File Manager windows open. One for the sdaX Windows partition and the other for your external drive. Click and drag them until they are side by side. Highlight your external files/folders by holding Ctrl+left clicking. You can also left click /drag a window around the files/folders. Once highlighted drag the highlighted files to the Windows File Manager. A small dialog box will open. Select copy and click the quiet box. 

#3 BRlAN

BRlAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

ok, it's been fixed already, i was running the scan of chkdsk /r f: once more after several times of running it when i was typing this up and letting it finish one last time before i tried your way and luckily after all those times, it finally decided to free space and bring my drive back to showing again, but i will go back to this topic again when it happens again, it always seems to happen every 1-2 yrs with these external drives, it's like they're made not to last long

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the feedback. I try to avoid doing a chkdsk on a drive that has file system corruption as it can make things worse in trying to recover files. 

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

Don't forget to open some of the files, making sure the files are actually in good shape.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 BRlAN

BRlAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:34 PM

ah, i didn't know about the making things worse bit or i would have been more cautious

and bout 4 days ago, one of the parts of my disk where it was not going to and giving cyclic redundancy errors & i had tried several other random places & no problems & that one was the only one i know for sure wasn't working but after the chkdsk, that folder is completely working so idk if there are still spots not working but the 1 place i did know wasn't working is now working fine & the drive is close to 3 TBs full of stuff

do you think that maybe i need to defrag the drive more maybe once or twice a year or something? is this part of the reason it gets so clustered and creates these problems in the 1st place? 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,988 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

The first thing I would do is back up the data on the hard drive to another location. The next time you may not be so lucky and all your data will be lost. After backing up the data I would run Seatools for Windows and do the short/long generic tests. Do this after backing up the data as doing the tests can put further strain on the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users