Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Unallocated Space to C Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doveroh

doveroh

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Hello Everyone,

I just upgraded my hard drive to a 1 TB drive and need to move the unallocated space at the end of the disk to the hard drive, but I have my recovery and hp volumes between them.

I have attached a screen shot of my volumes.

Any suggestions on how to get the unallocated space to go to my c drive?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2016 - 07:39 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

I tried using parted Magic and moving the unallocated space next to the C drive and expand out the c drive, however, I get an error when I first shrink the last volume (data recovery) and move it to the back of the disk.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

I get an error when I first shrink the last volume (data recovery) and move it to the back of the disk.

Please post exactly what error message says.  Why do you want to shrink the recovery partition?  If you alter the recovery partition, in any way whatsoever, you may not be able to restore your system in the event you need to.

#4 doveroh

doveroh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

Agouti, The recovery partition included the entire unallocated space.  I was able to figure out that the piece I was missing was that I had to move the 'free space' to the front of each of the partitions that were between the unallocated space and the C drive.  After I did this, I was able to merge them and restart my computer and now I have all the space together. 

Thanks for your help

This is considered Solved Now.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

Glad you solved your issue.  However, for anyone who may come after, the recovery partition cannot included unallocated space otherwise that space would not be shown as "unallocated" in the first place.  Also, whenever you need to merge or extend a partition, there must be unallocated space adjacent to the partition you are extending, i.e. either to the front or back of the partition.  If there are intervening partitions, then these partitions must first be "moved" before you can carry out a "merge" or "extend" operation.  Depending on the partitioning program, a "merge" operation may include "move" operation(s) but the user may be none the wiser.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

Yes.  When I was trying to extend a partition with unallocated space which was not adjacent to the partition, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard was the only free software which was able to do so.  Neither Minitool Partition Wizard nor GParted was able to merge the non-adjacent space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users