Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Floppy disk drive not appear in File Explorer when plugged in

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:18 PM

New computer with Windows 10, will not show the floppy disc drive in File Explorer after plugging in.  Floppy disc IS in the disc drive when plugging into the computer; then when opening File Explorer, no disc letter or item is shown for this drive.  How do we make this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:30 PM

I believe Windows 10 dropped support for USB floppy drives.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403646/how-to-replace-the-six-features-missing-from-windows-10

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2016 - 10:32 PM.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

I just found a way to work around this.  When I right clicked on the tray icon to prepare to remove the floppy drive ( which seems strange to try, since no such item was shown in File Explorer), there was an item listing, "devices and printers".  I clicked on this item, and a window appeared showing devices and drives, and there it was - the floppy disc drive A:\ was shown.  The Devices and Printers window showed some menus at the top of the window, one menu item saying "Browse", and so I clicked on the Down-Arrow.  A window that LOOKED LIKE File Explorer then opened, and there I could see the contents of the floppy disc in the floppy drive.

Now, with all that, will reopening File Explorer show the floppy disc A:\ drive?

NO!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

You'll have to get a driver for the floppy drive (from the floppy drive manufacturer) that's compatible w/W10.

If they don't offer it, another possible option would be to try a VM w/W7 or earlier and see if it'll mount the floppy drive there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

You'll have to get a driver for the floppy drive (from the floppy drive manufacturer) that's compatible w/W10.

If they don't offer it, another possible option would be to try a VM w/W7 or earlier and see if it'll mount the floppy drive there.

"VM w/W7", I have no understanding of any kind. 

Going through Devices & Printers,  I found only some trouble trying to open certain files on one floppy disk, but not much trouble opening files on most other floppy disks, except for some default application capabilities between the applications on the computer and applications used for creating files from many years ago. 

I checked with the company which made the external floppy disk drive, and NO DRIVER support/ no drivers available.

Also I tried plugging in the floppy disk drive, opening Windows Update, but nothing happens.  Some online articles said that Windows 10 "will" automatically download and install updates for things like this but I am not too sure that this has happened.  Also I do not see a way to MAKE Windows 10 check for updates on-demand.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,651 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

It is possible to attach the USB floppy drive to another computer that does not have Windows 10 and transfer the contents to a USB flash drive? Is this a bootable floppy disk?

VM is Virtual Machine. You would install a program like Virtual Box and install Windows 7 to it. You would run Windows 7 inside of Windows 10 through the Virtual Machine. 

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

It is possible to attach the USB floppy drive to another computer that does not have Windows 10 and transfer the contents to a USB flash drive? Is this a bootable floppy disk?

VM is Virtual Machine. You would install a program like Virtual Box and install Windows 7 to it. You would run Windows 7 inside of Windows 10 through the Virtual Machine. 

Interesting, but I still do not understand how the virtual box method works.  I have no experience with it (obviously).

The floppy drive and the floppy disks have been used only for storage - nothing bootable (except for some really old ones, but very very few of them and those no longer important in this place).  There ARE still two computers running Windows Vista, so yes - the floppy disk contents can be copied to usb flashdrives  (done as needed).   There are far too many floppy disks here with files on them.  I myself must have more than 60 floppies and another person here has maybe 15 or 20 floppies.

Things like virtual box might be fun as well as useful.  That would be a different topic.  I am interested in help for understanding and learning to use virtual box and things like that.  I already looked at some videos on YouTube but still do not know how to handle or use such things as VM or virtual box.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

Windows 10 is setup to not show empty drives maybe this could be the issue you can remove this setting from "Control Panel --> Folders Options --> View" tab uncheck Hide Empty Drivers.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

Windows 10 is setup to not show empty drives maybe this could be the issue you can remove this setting from "Control Panel --> Folders Options --> View" tab uncheck Hide Empty Drivers.

Thanks for this advice.  I will look in settings to try to find this option.  

The diskettes I had in the floppy drive did have files on them, so they WERE NOT EMPTY!  Each time I plugged in the floppy drive, a diskette containing files WAS in the drive.  No floppy drive found in File Explorer.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:16 AM

Does the floppy drive show at Disk Management console you can open this console by typing Diskmgmt.msc to Start Menu search box. If the floppy drive detected at Disk Management console then assign the floppy drive new drive letter which should be letter B. Also check and see if floppy drive missing device driver from Device Manager. Open the Device Manage pressing Windows key + X keys and click on “Device Manager”.

- Dalai Lama

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:16 AM

File Explorer now shows the item in the left side panel, "floppy drive A:", whether the floppy drive is plugged-in or not.  Clicking this item also shows any content on the floppy disk, if the drive is plugged-in.  This seems to be a good thing.  I do not what what actions if any might have made this possible.  The drive is shown listed way above the other drive letter items on the left side panel, not where one would usually expect to see them/it.

#12 Bully75

Bully75

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

is the floppy drive enabled in the bios!

#13 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

is the floppy drive enabled in the bios!

I have no idea.  I do not even know how to find out.  (Reminder also, the floppy drive is an EXTERNAL drive).

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:39 AM

Uninstall the floppy device driver from Device Manger restart your computer reconnect the floppy device to see issue resolved.

- Dalai Lama

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

Each BIOS/UEFI is different.

You'll have to poke around inside of it looking for an entry to enable/disable the floppy (and it may/may not have one).

It's safe to look around inside the BIOS/UEFI - just don't change anything.
And, when you exit, select the option to exit without saving - that way you won't mess anything up.

Once you find the floppy entry (if there is one), change it (and only it), and then save as you exit.

You can always go back in and look around some more (I recall there being 3 different settings for the floppy in older (XP era) BIOS's)

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 11 March 2016 - 05:33 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users