Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a bootable linux distro [mint maybe] on cd/dvd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

When creating a bootable link distro on a disk should you use a cd/dvd creator from linux or will one built for windows work as well.

I am not shure I can dual boot on this wanna-be computer. lol

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

Most Linux distros are provided as an ISO, which is a disc image. If you intend to apply that disc image to a disc (eg: CD, DVD, etc), you can use any disc burning tool that supports the ISO format, and the type of disc you're using. It doesn't matter what OS the program is run under.

I almost always burn my Linux discs (eg: Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc) under Windows, though I don't usually use Windows built-in burning application as I have other software installed for handling such things.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,244 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

When creating a bootable link distro on a disk should you use a cd/dvd creator from linux or will one built for windows work as well.

The one in 7 Windows and up works well

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Edited by NickAu, 06 March 2016 - 09:20 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Thank you all for the quick reply. Good info.

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

If one is already running Linux (mint in my case), is Brasero good enough for this purpose, or is there another one generally used?

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

If one is already running Linux (mint in my case), is Brasero good enough for this purpose,.

Yes, Its what I use.

Edited by NickAu, 06 March 2016 - 11:30 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

Buy a linx distro vs download.

While researching installing Linux Mint I saw I could buy a dvd to run live.

With my slow internet connection and troubles burning images would I be better of just buying a dvd all ready to use?

Thoughts please. I am thinking from OSdisc .com.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:18 AM

Getting a disc with the distro already on it is a perfectly fine decision, especially if you have slow internet speeds/limited internet downloading capabilities.

Looks like OSdisc.com is what Mint takes you to when you click on "Buy disc". I don't see any problems with it in that case (never heard of it before until now).

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

First of all, as DiemosChaos said, nothing is wrong with buying an install disc.  However, if you have a slow internet connection I would recommend using a download manager, e.g. Free Download Manager, Internet Download Manager, EagleGet, etc.  With a download manager, you can pause a download if it doesn't complete in one day, and resume the next day.  Also, burning an ISO isn't troublesome at all.  If you use a program like Free ISO Burner that's dedicated to burning ISOs and nothing else, it's a breeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users