If your brother has the same printer then it's possible the last Windows 10 update rendered the printer not supported.
From this page.
Products with limited support
These products were developed before Lexmark had knowledge of the re-designed Windows 10 printing system, but will support basic printing features. Microsoft may choose, at its own discretion, to completely discontinue printing support for these products in future Windows 10 operating system updates.
Use existing Windows 8, 8.1 print drivers for the following inkjet models:
- Lexmark S815/S816 (Lexmark S800 Series)
- Lexmark Pro901/Pro902/Pro905 (Pro800-Pro900 Series)
- Lexmark Pro802/Pro805 (Pro800-Pro900 Series)
- Lexmark Pro702/Pro705/Pro706/Pro708 (Pro700 Series)
- Lexmark Pro202/Pro205/Pro208 (Pro200-S500 Series)
- Lexmark S602/S605/S608 (S600 Series)
- Lexmark S502/S505/S508 (Pro200-S500 Series)
- Lexmark S402/S405/S408 (S300-S400 Series)
- Lexmark S302/S305/S308 (S300-S400 Series)
- Lexmark X2650/X2670/X2690 (2600 Series)
- Lexmark X4975/X4950 (4900 Series)
- Lexmark X6675/X6650/X6690 (5600-6600 Series)
- Lexmark X5650/X5690 (5600-6600 Series)
- Lexmark X7675 (7600 Series)
- Lexmark X3650/X3690 (3600-4600 Series)
- Lexmark X2600/X2620/X2630 (2600 Series)
- Lexmark Z2300/Z2330/Z2390 (Z2300 Series)
- Lexmark Z2420/Z2490 (Z2400 Series)
- Lexmark X4630/X4650/X4690 (3600-4600 Series)
This is the main issue I have with Windows 10 as a service. With all previous versions of Windows you knew your printer would work at least to the next version of Windows but with Windows as a service you don't know if a device will be rendered unsupported after a Windows 10 update.
The only thing I can recommend you try is the following. Uninstall the printer through control panel.
Go to Devices and Printers. Select the Microsoft XPS printer. In the upper menu bar select Server Properties. Under the Drivers tab remove any lexmark driver.
Reinstall the driver for Windows 8 you can get here.
Lexmark puts a dependency in the spooler properties. See this article. You may want to reset your spooler dependency before doing the driver reinstall. If you do decide to get a new printer then choose Canon as they are good in keeping drivers up to date.