Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bridge mode configuration

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonbeach

Jasonbeach

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

Hi everyone,
My home network is such that my router (Verizon MI424WR REV I) is on one side of our apartment and my computer desk is on the other. I have a few items with wired connections to the router (blu-ray player, obi 100 voip phone box) and a few that have wired connections to a TP-link 5 port gigabit switch by the computer desk (iMac, printer, NAS, and the TL-WA801ND access point). I want to connect the two LANs so everything is one big happy network--as far as I know I need to configure the access point so that it is in Bridge with AP mode.

After I finish the setup, however, the router and access point don't connect. I read somewhere that since the IP address of my verizon router is 192.168.1.1 I need to change the IP address of the access point from it's default 192.168.0.254 to something like 192.168.1.250. WPA2 is enabled on both devices and each network has a different SSID (can they be the same in this mode?)

When setting up the access point, I have the WIFI on my desktop PC turned off so I know the network connection is going though the ethernet cable. As soon as I save the new IP address the connection through the cable no longer works--it acts as if the cable wasn't there. I CAN however now access the setup menu on the access point if I re-enable WIFI on my desktop and connect to the verizon router WIFI (which I believe tells me the bridge function is working (at least somewhat). DHCP is enabled on the router but not the access point.

Is there something I'm missing that I need to configure so everything is connected as it should be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

From what I'm reading you only have the Verizon router.  You need another router if you're putting that  one in bridge mode, that's what bridge mode is for, to allow you to use your own router.

#3 Jasonbeach

Jasonbeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

I have two physically distinct LANs-on one side of my apartment there is the verizon router with a bluray player and ip phone box wired to it.

On the other side of my apartment at my computer desk there is the other with an iMac, NAS, printer and wireless access point that are all connected via a gigabit switch. It's the access point on this side I'm trying to configure.

I have it setup in bridge mode now-if I leave it at it's default address of 192.168.0.254, I can access it ok through a cat 5 cable from the iMac but not wirelessly through the router (from say my laptop).

When I change the access point's IP address to 192.168.0.250, I can no longer access it through the cat 5 cable but I can wirelessly through the router.

The router and access point have different SSIDs-what I'd like is that all my wireless devices connect to the router but have access to the NAS and printer without having to change networks.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Edited by Jasonbeach, 07 March 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Do you have a cable between the AP and the router?

How is the AP connected to the router?

Bridging the AP is the wrong approach imo.  Usually you select repeater and assign the AP a non dhcp ip in the routers subnet so you can manage it.  After that dhcp flows through the ap from the router tying every one into the same lan.

#5 Jasonbeach

Jasonbeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

I'm trying to connect the AP and the router wirelessly.  With the location of them and our small kids, running a cat 5e cable between the two of them is not really possible.  

From what I can tell bridging takes two physically distinct LANs and connects them wirelessly as though they were connected with a cat 5e cable, which is what I want to do.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

Your manual

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WA801ND_V2_User_Guide.pdf

Problem here is the Verizon router would have to support AP in bridge mode.  If it did you would lose your wifi access since it would be dedicated to the wifi bridge connection.

I suspect you need to buy another AP so you can bridge them.  This means one connected to your switch and one to the Verizon router.

I would have gone with powerline adapters which use the electrical wiring in your house. 

What most miss is if they can't get a wifi signal at one end of the house putting in a wifi repeater in that location isn't going to help.  You can't repeat a poor signal.  Placement would be midway so as to get a strong signal.  This could negate your desire of bridging wirelessly.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 07 March 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

I'm with Wand3r3r, you want to extend, not bridge.  Put the router back to where it was, in routing mode.  You want to make all of the changes on the AP.

You want to configure your AP to Bridge with AP, page 8 of the manual Wand3r3r linked.

Edited by Kilroy, 07 March 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#8 Jasonbeach

Jasonbeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

I'm with Wand3r3r, you want to extend, not bridge.  Put the router back to where it was, in routing mode.  You want to make all of the changes on the AP.

You want to configure your AP to Bridge with AP, page 8 of the manual Wand3r3r linked.

Maybe I'm not using the right terminology.  I haven't made any changes to the Verizon router.  When configuring the access point, I did set it up in the Bridge mode with AP-- then because they didn't seem to be connecting I changed the IP address on the access point to be in the same subnet as the router. 

Also, WIFI signal strength is good from one end of the apartment to the other.

I will try the WDS repeater mode when I get home tonight--if that doesn't work maybe I will look at the powerline adapters and just chuck the access point.

Thanks

#9 Jasonbeach

Jasonbeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

So I went home and tried various different modes - WDS Repeater, Universal Repeater, and finally client mode to no avail.  However once in client mode I started looking at the IP addresses of the iMac, the NAS and my printer and discovered they were all still on the 192.168.0 subnet.  I forced the iMac and the printer to renew their DCHP lease which bumped them over to the correct 192.168.1 subnet.  The NAS was configured with a static IP address - I changed it so it would take DHCP assigned IP and it bumped over to the correct subnet as well.  So as near as I can tell everything is working as it should.  I'm not sure if removing the static IP address from the NAS will cause other issues, but if it does it's easy enough to go back to a static IP on the correct subnet.  

So as near as I can tell the problem was that since iMac and printer didn't have a hard wired connection to the router (and I wasn't using their WIFI), they couldn't connect to the access point (which was on a different subnet) to contact the DHCP server to get an updated IP address.  I may go back and try other modes on the access point now that everything is on the same subnet, but at least for now everything seems to be working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users