Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Not Genuine and other issues

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 HopperFinch

HopperFinch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

Hello! I received a very fun surprise today after church when my computer abruptly restarted. The computer wanted me to run a "disk check" saying "checking system file on C: the type of the file is NTFS". I let it run the check, and then upon loading the sign in screen a couple of different error messages appeared, most of the saying something along the lines of "C:\windows\systems32\exampleprogram is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. So far the list of things where it says "example program is:

SmartcardCredentialProvider.dll

credui.dll (wtih system32 capitalise)

credui.dll (system32 not capitalised)

d3d11.dll

Try installing the program again using the original installation media". It is also now randomly insisting that my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine. When I click the button option to get a genuine copy of Windows since there is no other option, it immediately says "An error has occured", the code is 0x800700C1, and in the bottom right corner it just constantly displays that Windows is  not genuine, and says it's Build 7601 (whatever that means?).

It also says, when I restart, that "The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at location 0x3f3397t6" and asks me to terminate, and does the same thing for similar programs.

I am unable to connect to the internet (my phone is connected so I know it's working). I had a lot of steam games downloaded who's icons are now gone, but they are apparently still installed (and the Steam icon is still there). None of my pictures, videos, or documents appear to be on my computer anymore. Some features, like the cursor, are in an older style (for example, the loading icon is an hourglass instead of the blue halo).

I have tried restarting a few times, no luck. I also tried to use SLMGR_REARM in the command but that did nothing. I tried to use system restore, an error message saying the windows sytem wer.dll was not designed to run on it.

Nothing I googled seemed to have something similar (unless I'm just googling really badly, which is entirely possible).Normally I would ask my pops for help, but it's his birthday and I don't want to give him work. I am not super into technology, so please keep it simple. Thank you so, so much!

Edited by HopperFinch, 06 March 2016 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

Do you have access to another computer?

Tapping F8 at boot have you tried Use Last Known Good Configuration? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 March 2016 - 07:39 PM.

#3 HopperFinch

HopperFinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

The computer is a Sager NP8651. I do have access to another computer, it's an old HP desktop. Just tried the Last Known thing, unfortunately it did not work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

If you need data from the computer we can boot a live linux CD or USB created on the HP and recover to an external USB drive. Did you receive Windows 7 install disks with the computer? 

When tapping F8 can you access a command prompt after selecting repair computer? I think it best to recover any data you need before trying some commands using command prompt.

#5 HopperFinch

HopperFinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

Yes, I do have the install disks. I can also access the command prompt. Ok, I would definitely like to recover data, preferably with a USB. The laptop does not have a CD drive, and I would have to dig out the external drive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

Okay, Download the PartedMagic iso here. Download Rufus here

Attach a USB flash drive and run Rufus. Make sure our flash drive is detected. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked including Quick Format. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image then click the small folder icon. Browse to the Parted Magic iso file. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive.

It's possible Parted Magic will not boot if you have a UEFI comptuer. In that case change the boot mode to legacy or CSM boot in your UEFI settings.

See this guide on using Parted Magic to recover data.

If Parted Magic does not boot we can try another linux distro but Parted Magic can also check your hard drive for any errors. On the desktop is an icon called disk health. Click this after recovering your data and do the short/long tests. 

#7 HopperFinch

HopperFinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Alright, I am on my bad laptop with parted magic, and it is not permitting me to copy files from my good drive to my bad drive like the guide says to. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: Nevermind I got that to work! It's transferring data now.

Edited by HopperFinch, 06 March 2016 - 09:19 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

That's good to hear. Once the files are copied open a few to see if they are valid and not corrupted then do the short and long disk check. Under the attributes tab look for any pink or red rows.

#9 HopperFinch

HopperFinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

Alright, I checked and it was a success! I don't know how to do a short and long disk check though. Is the long one just going to the command and putting in chkdsk? Thanks.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

On the Parted Magic Desktop is an icon called Disk Health. Double Click it and it will bring up a program called Gsmartcontrol. Do the short and long tests.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Screenshots

#11 HopperFinch

HopperFinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:12 PM

Alright, Short Test has come back with no errors. Long test is also completed without error. 

The only pink bars are for temperature and something called the "Reallocation Event Count".

Edited by HopperFinch, 06 March 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

Reallocated Sector Count is the one to worry about if the value is high. 

I would tap F8 at boot, select Repair Computer, and select a command prompt.  Type sfc /scannow. This will check for any missing or corrupt system files. 

If that fails then at the command prompt type

chkdsk /r

If the computer still has issues then I would do a clean install per this guide.  After the install and when you have updated Windows 7 to your preferences I would download and install Aoemi One Key. This creates a factory restore partition that is available by pressing key at boot. I would also recommend you create a complete disk image using either Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper Standard. These programs would let you restore a disk image form an external USB drive to a clean drive. You would be back up in minutes vs hours. Aoemi One Key is nice if the system gets corrupted as in your case but does not work if the drive itself fails. That is where Macrium Free and Aoemi Backupper have the advantage over One Key.

After a clean install you may have an issue updating Windows 7. Do not do automatic updates. Only select Security Updates or you will get the Windows 10 Option. Check what each important update does and if it does not concern you do not install it. To keep Windows 10 off the computer install GWX Control Panel. You will need to install IE11 first as that is required for Security Updates.

#13 HopperFinch

HopperFinch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

Thank you, the other fixes did not work so I'm doing a clean installation now. Thanks for all of your help!!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

No problem, if you run into any problems updating Windows 7 post back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users