Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 3.0 Root Hub

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tn.l4dy

tn.l4dy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

I have used Win 7 Pro (laptop USB 2.0) for a while and recently read that I could add USB 3.0  by plugging into an unused slot.   Checking my devices, I saw a couple of USB 3.0 files,

Can someone tell me what these files do?    Can these files make it possible to use USB 3.0?

Break it to me gently.  ;-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

I would start by checking the specs on this laptop, googling for them if necessary. If the specs state that this laptop only has USB 2 then you are probably out of luck, if they mentions USB 3 then it should be possible to get USB 3 to work. However most USB 3 sockets have a blue plastic 'tongue' or 'locator' in them while USB 2 ones are usually either black or gray.

However, if you do only have USB 2 sockets, plugging a USB 3 hub into one of these will not give you USB 3 performance through the hub, it just ain't possible.

If it is your 'Device manager' you are referring to where you saw these files then you may have USB 3. First of all check to see that there are no symbols like 'x', '!' or '?' against these entries in Device manager, then look to see if any of your USB sockets have a blue 'tongue' in them. If they do, they are USB 3. If not, even though you appear to have USB 3 drivers, you probably don't have the hardware to use the performance of USB 3.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 tn.l4dy

tn.l4dy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for your reply.  While I am at home inside a tower, opening a laptop makes me hyperventilate.  I plan on leaving it that way.  That's what sons are for. ;-)

The files I referred to are shown in the Device Manager. They show as good files - no x's, no comments, etc.  I think I will find the specs just...well, just because I am curious.  I think you are probably right.

Thanks again.

Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users