Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update - THIS IS MADNESS!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

Yesterday, Saturday 5th March so not near any Patch Tuesday if that is still active, I had no update messages. Today I did and clicked Update doing nothing else with the computer, a Lenovo X201 i7 laptop.

The 'Do not turn off your computer' message lasted 1 hour 55 mins and then got to the 'Restarting'. After 1 hour 29 mins it still had not done anything else so stopped by holding the off button thinking there must be a glitch.

So I restarted it myself and got the message that updates were not all completed and to click on that message to act on it but the message disappeared as soon as it appeared.

So can Win 10 updates take almost forever to install? How come this sort of time is so much longer than the past XP, Win 7 updates? Or is there a problem with my computer?

Any advice appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

That does sound odd. The last real update that Microsoft issued was last Tuesday, Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3140743. This update did take about 8 minutes on my computer, but that is not what I think is odd. I have been using Windows 10 for about a year now and all updates always happen in the background, they have never become obtrusive in any way whatsoever. What I mean is if I am recording music or editing video or just playing games, all updates happen in the background, they have never interfered with what ever it is that I am doing on the computer. Sure some updates require a restart after the update has been installed, but even then you could put it off for a few days if you are in the middle of an important project.

I hope that you get this situation figured out because it sounds like you might have an issue.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for your response.

Usually for my updates the completion seems to happen after I shut down which then goes thru 'Don't turn off your computer'. 'Configuring Windows' etc. Some background action does seem to operate as my computer slows to a crawl.

And last night redid all this after I restarted then after 35 mins got to 'Shutting down' thank God!

But after another 30 mins no shut down so left it to run to go to bed. In the morning it was still 'shutting down' so pressed the Off button.  Starting up it went to 'Don't turn off ....' again but got thru that in about 5 mins and now seems to be working OK.

Yes it looks like an 'issue' - I'll see how it goes from now on.

Edited by zzzz, 07 March 2016 - 04:56 AM.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:33 AM

May I ask what your internet speed is?  I usually blame mine for how long some of these updates take to load on my pc.

I have a pretty slow connection, but lately I have been noticeing that some of the updates have been not much bigger than a few programs I have loaded in about half the time used for the update.

So now I have to even question that assumption.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Down  11.63Mb :  Up  0.74Mb

I don't think my problem was about speed but a Windows or hardware glitch -= I just hope it doesn't occur again.

#6 verus333

verus333

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

I've noticed, especially when upgrading Lenovo's, that doing all of the Windows updates and the Lenovo updates before pulling The trigger on Win 10, makes the upgrade a smoother process.  The Lenovo's I'm working on are all X1 Carbons so its not a one to one comparison, but it may apply to this one as well.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

FYI - one often overlooked thing is updating the BIOS/UEFI

The Microsoft TechBench documentation suggests that this should be done before updating to W10 (and more recently when updating to 1511 (the Fall Update/Threshold2/TH2)).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 madang

madang

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

I face the problems of udpating my os and windows 10 update after installing the os 64 bit on Acer Travelmate with built in windows 7

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

THIS IS SPAAAAARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Errr sorry, the topic title was too tempting to not do that :bananas:

Anyhow I had a simular issue with the November update, I personally solved it by reinstalling win10 fresh

Edited by MadmanRB, 13 March 2016 - 12:26 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#10 abhitarp

abhitarp

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:30 AM

As I have entered this forum anew.....

But this type problem is very stereotype.

I must say the leftovers of ur old operating system is causing that problem.....

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

"I must say the leftovers of ur old operating system is causing that problem....."

Maybe but why not occurring for previous 6 months of updates?  And this glitch has not happened again as yet.

#12 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

Windows Update can sometimes take longer than expected and seem strange at times, but if it didn't finish overnight, that's definitely more glitchy than I've run into.  I have two test desktops running 10 with the Insider program, and new builds come out that are around 3 GB every 2 or 3 weeks.  They can take an hour or more and reboot 2-3 times, but still nowhere near overnight.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

"This is adness, complete and utter adness." - Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory, Season 4, Episode 17)

Couldn't resist :0)

A system doesn't necessarily show incompatibilities from the very first.
It takes a specific set of circumstances to expose an incompatibility - and those circumstances may not come for months.

A Windows system is a dynamic system, changing as things within it and without it change.

Programs modify/change settings/updates also change things.

And then one day they no longer play nicely together.

So you rant and rave, and pull your hair out - only to give up and revert to the previous OS.

And, if you're lucky, all is well with the previous OS.

That's how you know it was incompatible.

I tried to upgrade my Lenovo x61t table (came w/Vista) to W8

It just wouldn't work right - but it worked well enough for me to use it.

As time wore on, it got harder and harder to use.

I finally brought it to MVP Summit and had some MVP's and some Microsoft employees look at it.

The diagnosis was the same - revert to the previous OS and see if that fixes it.

Sure enough, I reverted - and it's worked just fine ever since (a friend uses it for his kids now).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 abhitarp

abhitarp

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

use disk cleanup to clean system files. then think of any ther step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users