Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peppermint Linux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

This thread is more-or-less a continuation of another thread here at Bleeping Computer (this one http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603121/linux-distro-easy-usability-basic-user/page-6) so that we don't completely derail that other thread. I just installed Peppermint Linux for the first time yesterday, and I have only played with it for a few hours, so this is really just a thread for everybody to discuss Peppermint Linux and not a detailed review of Peppermint Linux.

First of all the install. It seemed easy and straight forward with all of the options that you expect to find when installing a Linux distro. The installation made it easy to choose third party CODECs as part of the installation as well as nice and easy to understand options that allow an easy configuration beside a Windows installation. The only thing I might complain about is that the installation did take considerably longer than some distros that I have installed, but not too, too long.

The first thing that one might notice upon opening Peppermint Linux is the dark theme. The name Peppermint led me to expect a bright cheery theme, instead the desktop is a vibrant dark theme. Not a turn off at all, just unexpected.

This operating system is easy to configure. It ships with Chromium or some such web browser, but it was easy enough for me to install Firefox and get up and running in no time. All of the settings are handy and allow for a quick user-friendly configuration right away. My usual problem of establishing sound with my outboard USB DAC is an ongoing issue with every distro that I install, but within minutes I was able to get YouTube to play as well as my music files. Nice.

The only negative for me is the start menu, if you want to call it that. The application menu is located in the lower left hand corner of the screen, just like the operating system that comes out of Redmond. This particular application menu is totally uninspiring and reminds me of Windows XP. In my opinion I prefer the way that Linux Mint's application menu looks and feels, but the standard one provided in Peppermint is functional.

Of course these are just some quick observations and I invite everybody to add their own insights and experiences to this thread.

Rocky Bennett

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

Never tried Peppermint Linux, but given I'm Lubuntu fan, I'd probably like it. Interested to see what others have to say about it.

#3 Guest_PCNetSpec_*

Guest_PCNetSpec_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

As you can imagine I'm also going to be keeping a close eye on this topic .. though I think it would be a little unfair of me to start singing Peppermints praises.

It''ll be interesting to see what people over here think, so thanks Rocky Bennett for starting the topic and giving Peppermint a whirl :)

If you're into dark themes and haven't found it yet, why not switch to the Peppermix Dark theme

http://peppermintos.com/screenshots/

[EDIT]

I can tell you (without giving too much away) that Peppermint 7 amongst some quite big changes that I'm currently not allowed to mention will be getting a themeing makeover .. kind of necessary what with gtk 3.18 breaking a lot of themes.

Edited by PCNetSpec, 06 March 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

I think it's obvious you don't have to convince me!

A big thank you to the Peppermint Team for their fantastic OS and amazing support!  :thumbup2:

Click here and here to see my setup on Peppermint OS.

Greets!

#5 Guest_PCNetSpec_*

Guest_PCNetSpec_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

You're more than welcome GNULINUX, we're glad you're enjoying it :)

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,380 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

I can tell you (without giving too much away) that Peppermint 7 amongst some quite big changes that I'm currently not allowed to mention will be getting a themeing makeover .. kind of necessary what with gtk 3.18 breaking a lot of themes.

You can tell us we promise not to tell anybody, Honest. :lmao:

#7 Guest_PCNetSpec_*

Guest_PCNetSpec_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

Actually,  I've already accidentally given something away...

(I'll shut up now :blush:)

Edited by PCNetSpec, 08 March 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,984 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

If you're into dark themes and haven't found it yet, why not switch to the Peppermix Dark theme

http://peppermintos.com/screenshots/

I like this very much! love some dark themes.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users