Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from usb recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 10pin

10pin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

Will my computer boot from my usb recovery drive if cd is first on booting order. If I change the order in Bios will it effect how my computer boots each time I use it?

Thanks. Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Will my computer boot from my usb recovery drive if cd is first on booting order.

If you made a recovery drive you should be able to boot from it should the need arise.  However, if you put the CD drive first in the boot order it does not affect booting from a USB drive.  The USB drive and the CD drive are two different things.

If I change the order in Bios will it effect how my computer boots each time I use it?

If you change the order in the BIOS it shouldn't normally affect how your computer boots unless another bootable medium is present.  For example, if you changed the order so that your CD drive comes before you internal hard drive and a bootable CD is present in the CD drive, then it will boot from the CD drive first.  However, if no bootable CD is present, then the computer will simply skip the CD drive and go to the next bootable device in the list.

NOTE: None of the above takes into account whether you are using BIOS or UEFI firmware.

#3 10pin

10pin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info, it answered my question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users