Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configuring Email Linux Mint Cinnamon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

I use a Linux Mint 17.2 Rafael, Cinnamon 64bit in order to get accustomed to Linux as I plan to 'Ditch Windows" when support ends. Currently have Win 7.

With that being said, I am a 'real novice' but willing to learn. Please forgive me if this question borders on the edge of stupidity. How do you configure email using this particular distro? Is it not possible? I use Yahoo for email and when I try to "sign-in" it tells me that my ID and Password are invalid. It's the same ID and Password that I currently use when not using Linux Live DVD and I experience no problem.

Could you address this? TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

sikntired, I don't have a good answer for you, but sometimes when I need to do something Firefox won't - I just install Chromium.  It takes a little while but then you are good until next boot.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Guest_PCNetSpec_*

Guest_PCNetSpec_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

Are we talking about webmail, or an email client application ?

If application .. which one do Mint use ?

[EDIT]

Just a thought, but does your password display as *******, does it contain anything that's not a number or letter, and are you sure you're using the correct locale/keymap ?

Maybe try typing your password into a regular text editor and see if it comes out right.

Edited by PCNetSpec, 06 March 2016 - 01:25 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:05 PM

With that being said, I am a 'real novice' but willing to learn. Please forgive me if this question borders on the edge of stupidity.

Were all learning at some level so don't worry about that.  I just tried logging into yahoo email from same distro via. USB, all good here, worked fine.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. After playing around, I finally got it work. Using numerical characters at top of keyboard made the difference. Should have remembered that because it caused a problem previously. I'm not a proficient typist.......just hunt & peck.

I really enjoy this distro and can't express my gratitude enough to members who encouraged me to install.

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. After playing around, I finally got it work. Using numerical characters at top of keyboard made the difference. Should have remembered that because it caused a problem previously. I'm not a proficient typist.......just hunt & peck.

I really enjoy this distro and can't express my gratitude enough to members who encouraged me to install.

Does your keyboard have a numeric keypad on it that you were using?  If so, you need the "num lock" to be on, otherwise you get all the special characters like pgup/pgdown, etc.

Happens to everyone at times.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Yes mremski that is exactly what I had to do, and thus my comment regarding a previous instance. Thanks for the response and reminder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users