Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Stuttering Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AP49

AP49

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

The problem is kinda hard to describe so I'll try my best... The problem is most prevalent in all source engine games (Half-Life 2, Sin Episodes, CSS etc) although it seems to effect a few other games, just not as badly.
It isn't a normal type of stutter in that the frame rate will drop very low for a short period of time as my frame rate is always stable. Instead I only get the effect when I move the character accross the screen, then it all becomes very juddery like the character is walking through mud or something and freezes with every step. When not moving in the game world, everything is fine.
Another characteristic of this problem is that it gradually gets worse with time but dissappears for a while after a reboot of my computer.
Once I get into the game after a reboot, everything will be completely smooth. However, through a time of about 40 minutes it will get worse and worse, until at the 40 minute mark it becomes pretty unplayable when trying to move at all and forcing me to reboot to get smooth performance again.
I'm pretty sure my computer is free of any spyware or viruses.

I cannot remember exactly how long I've had this problem for but its been quite a while now.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1800XT
250GB hard drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

i dont think i can help you, but by stuttering are you reffering to LAG

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

Can our members assume that you have made sure you have the latest drivers for your video card, and that all of the games have any manufacturer's patches installed?
Do you experience similar "lag" or stuttering when you are using non-game applications?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 AP49

AP49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

Its definately not internet lag, if thats what you mean, I get it in single player games just as much.
Yeah all video card drivers up to date and patches installed, and no I don't get any of the effects in non-game applications.

#5 toshibauser

toshibauser

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

you dont have to get lag from the internet, see if you can tune the settings to fit your computer, like resolution, effects, etc.

i have oblivion, depeding on how i set it, it can work great, or take 30 esconds for to move.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:33 PM

I have heard of the AMD Dual Core processors causing stuttering but the AMD drivers from their website seems to help stop this problem.

3939.png

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

Yes, I've had strange effects in some games from using an AMD dual core. Here you can find AMD's dual core optimizer, which should fix the problem. A warning though: After installing the dual core optimizer it had conflicts with some other driver (I think is was nVidia's ForceWare graphics driver) and started giving me BSODs.

Some games have also released patches to fix such problems. You can also fix this by after starting the gaming, opening the task manager and right-clicking the games process and changing is Affinity to only one CPU.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 AP49

AP49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

Thank you guys very much! The AMD dual core optimizer completely fixed the problem. I had no idea there was any kind of issue with the AMD dual core and games. I'd have checked before if I'd had any kind of suspicion.
Thanks again, this problem had really been annoying me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users