Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change Administrator?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:41 AM

I have a laptop with W10 installed, and I am giving it to my daughter. I would like to change the Admin details so that the laptop displays her name instead of my name on the start menu etc. 

Could someone please tell me how to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:29 AM

Go to Control Panel and under User Accounts create a New Account with her Name and set as an Administrator and set a Password also.

Then Log into her Account after logging off the other.

Then just go back to Control Panel and delete the other Account if you want to , but remember all will be gone unless you allow it to save files in a saved folder.

Otherwise just leave both accounts and log on individually , if you dont want the other account , delete it and files if you dont need them or have backed up previously.

#3 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

Thanks Havachat, One more thing:  What do you mean by "files" and "all will be gone"?  I take it you mean all files related to the deleted admin account, and not my laptop personal files?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

If you delete your user account ALL your personal files (photos, music, documents, videos, email if you use an email client which uses POP settings, Favorites/Bookmarks, etc.) will be deleted and lost.

When deleteing a user account there are 2 options.
1) Delete files

2) Save files. This will save your account files on in a folder on the desktop of the new user.

Or you can back up your files to another source.

One thing to be aware of: In Windows 10 new user accounts are automatically created as Standard Account. In previous versions of Windows you could select the account type after you gave the new account a name.

In Windows 10, after the new account is created you will see a screen with the name of the new account at that bottom. Click the account name/Change account type and set the account as administrator.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 March 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#5 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

My thanks to both of you for your help! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users