Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Type on Keyboard dialog boxes open up instead

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:41 PM

Often, I cannot type and dialog boxes open up instead.  For Example if I type the letter D then dialog box for favorites open.  If I type the letter P the print menus appears.  It seems like the control key is stuck or something.  This gets very annoying because I have to reboot my system.  Am I infected?

Also I cannot change my search engine preference.  It is stuck on Yahoo and I had it set to Google.

Edited by eclark53, 06 March 2016 - 05:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

What type of computer do you have - desktop or laptop ?  Make and model ?

It does sound like your diagnosis is very probably correct and to check it can you connect another keyboard ?  Basic USB keyboards are very cheap if you can't beg, borrow or steal one to try. External USB keyboards will work with a laptop.

If you have a desktop and it turns out the Control key is stuck I would just replace the keyboard. You can do the same for a laptop but you need to check the manual, and possibly the service manual if you can find one on-line, to see what is involved. Alternatively, search on YouTube for 'Make and model, replace keyboard' and you are almost certain to find a video which will show you what is involved. Again, laptop keyboards are generally fairly cheap, it is just the amount of work involved in changing that makes it hard but even this varies dramatically from one model to another.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users