Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 problem with file association

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KJRose

KJRose

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

I have an ebook site and all was well with my ebooks until the last update. Now I am not blaming the updates it is a coincidence I think. My question is this:

My PDF files are fine, MY epub files are fine but MOBI it associates with notepad to open. The extension is .mobi but it defaults to notepad. what I do not know is how it is to my users. How can I get it to not have a default, and show "Pick an app" instead

This effects my free eBook site big time so I pray there is a solution

Thank you

Edited by KJRose, 05 March 2016 - 11:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

Rightf-click one of your .MOBI files, point to "Open with" and click "Choose another app".  That will give you a menu of apps to choose from with the option to pick something not in the menu.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

Not working.. the only other suggestion I have is to choose one from the store... This totally has me stumped .. I guess I will have to look through the registry and yes please wish me luck

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

Check this page for different methods of selecting the default app for your extension. Windows 10 has a bug that resets file associations to Microsoft defaults but I can't say this is your problem.

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

Not working.. the only other suggestion I have is to choose one from the store... This totally has me stumped .. I guess I will have to look through the registry and yes please wish me luck

Obviously, this is not the problem, that does not work, but problem is that you do not know how. In this case, the best way to restore the original or default settings.

Just restore all the original (default) settings in Windows, and then you can change them, if you know how.

#6 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

go to control panel>default programs and filetype associations, find the .mobi file and choose the program to open it with

#7 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

Obviously, this is not the problem, that does not work, but problem is that you do not know how. In this case, the best way to restore the original or default settings.

Just restore all the original (default) settings in Windows, and then you can change them, if you know how.

Fortunately, I do know what I am doing, and I had already tried that so I went all over the web to find many people have this problem and it is a bug in Windows 10 It is what JohnC_21 said, but all is good now since I used the site that had registry changes that worked. Thank you though...kaljukass

Edited by KJRose, 07 March 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#8 KJRose

KJRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

Check this page for different methods of selecting the default app for your extension. Windows 10 has a bug that resets file associations to Microsoft defaults but I can't say this is your problem.

Thank you John that helped alot!!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,621 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

Can you link to the site which gave instructions on the registry changes? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users