Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TOTALLY WEIRD PASSWORD ISSUES INCLUDING THIS SITE

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

When I signed on to my computer about 15 minutes ago I tried to log-in to my bank account using the same user name and password that has been working but it said I was wrong and so it froze my account.   So I requested an email to reset my password with them and I am still waiting for it.

Then the next thing I did was I got an email from you guys (BC) so I used the url and tried to sign in and it said that one was wrong too.    I know it was not wrong and the fact that both these things happened first thing has me concerned.

WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN?

As to my password here I got the email and the temporary password and it said I could change the password once I am logged in but it said to go to my "User CP" and I must be stupid or jinxed today because I cannot find where to change my password with this site.

So I have two issues - where do I reset my password here and

Why am I suddenly having these password issues?

THIS IS VERY STRANGE :scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

Now it says I do not have permission to EDIT MY POST ABOVE?

strange again

But I have permission to EDIT THIS ONE ---

I found the link in the email to my USER CP and it was confusing but I skipped these one to change my email address and tried to change my password but I can't tell if it changed or not - I did not get a message it was changed just everything I typed in was gone and it was asking the same question.   If I sign out I might not get back in because THIS IS A WEIRD d@mn d@y.

Edited by JayJax, 05 March 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

This is getting very annoying - I finally got the email from my bank and the procedure to reset my password but first I had to answer a security question I filled out months ago.   It asked for my kindergarten teacher's name I ONLY HAD ONE SUCH TEACHER SO I entered it and it said WRONG so now I had to request another reset and if it asks me the same security question I won't be able to get on.   THIS is really ticking me off.  I KNOW WHO MY D@MN TEACHER WAS.   Just like I knew my user name and password for here and for my bank account.

#4 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

Sometimes those security questions are case sensitive. Check and see if you capitalized or not.

7581204627.png

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Begin compiling a hidden-away notebook [that only your immediate family knows the whereabouts] containing your usernames [exactly as typed], passwords [exactly as typed], security questions and exact answers for each and every one of your web sites that require such.  I recently made a notebook with such printouts for my wifey, so she can continue if anything happens to me.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

So did you go to your user name, upper right hand corner, and then settings ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

Yes I did get it figured out her on BC - thanks - I didn't see the settings on the left.

As to the security question I didn't know a "period" counts as a letter so I typed in period after the MRS and it worked.

But I still don't know why it denied them because they are the very same user names and passwords I've been using

Anyway is okay for now - hopefully no more sites like that. Thanks.

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Seeing your last Quote - Hope all goes well.

Otherwise i wrote.

Having Multiple issues , i would also check that you dont have a keyboard issue also.

Open Notepad and do some typing and check the spelling.

When receiving reset passwords from Banks etc,  i Copy/Paste so no mistakes are made.

Otherwise ring the Bank , cancel the account , and re setup the Online Account { Write Down Passwords }.

For both these passwords issues to occur at the same time , ensure you havent been compromised on the PC.

Personally i would Scan the Pc for any issues / Then reset all your passwords.

Edited by Havachat, 05 March 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#9 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

Just to make sure, I'd start a topic in " Am I Infected "

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:32 PM

To add to what Roland said in #5 I keep all my access codes on a memory stick which lives on my desk, even the ones I know by heart, and I only connect it when I need one of the ones I don't know. I do have a weakness for strong passwords and, if it can possibly cost me money, a different one for each. This, like Havachat said, allows me to copy/paste and avoid typos.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#11 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:35 PM

Begin compiling a hidden-away notebook [that only your immediate family knows the whereabouts] containing your usernames [exactly as typed], passwords [exactly as typed], security questions and exact answers for each and every one of your web sites that require such.  I recently made a notebook with such printouts for my wifey, so she can continue if anything happens to me.

That sounds like a great idea especially for couples - it says a lot about your relationship that you think of your partner and that you have the trust to do so.    Myself, being as unorganized as I am - it ends up being a source of frustration that I know I have this thing whatever it is but in this case this list and its always right where I left  it - sometimes in the way moving it to get to something else - its always there UNTIL THE DAY I NEED IT and then its nowhere to be found.    I don't know if I am jinxed or absented minded or maybe there is a part of me that likes to jack with the other part of me - a hidden alter-ego.    If I wanted someone like that in my life I would be married so I don't think its fair to have someone jacking with me anyway especially if that someone is ME.   Good ideas but not wure it would work for me unless I had them tatooed onto my skin somewhere and depending how long I live I might run out of skin before I run out of time and/or passwords.?    Plus - if I had them tatooed onto me then I'd have to write them in code so no one else could figure it out and knowing me, I might forget the code myself.

I know people that get rich inventing things that we used to do fine without until someone thought up these simple genius ideas - but they have to have the genius to implement the ideas - can't just dream you are an artchitect you have to know how to build things unless you want to be sued eventually when it collapses.

Myself I wonder if there is a way to have an encrypted skin-tattoo process?   Hmmmmmm....   I'm great at coming up with ideas and questions its the answers and solutions where I come up short.

Edited by JayJax, 06 March 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#12 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

To add to what Roland said in #5 I keep all my access codes on a memory stick which lives on my desk, even the ones I know by heart, and I only connect it when I need one of the ones I don't know. I do have a weakness for strong passwords and, if it can possibly cost me money, a different one for each. This, like Havachat said, allows me to copy/paste and avoid typos.

Chris Cosgrove

memory sticks work on the same basis for me as the notebook hard copy with it all written in nicely - they disappear when the rare day arrives you need one and its ALWAYS IN A CRISIS SCENARIO.   One of the worst crisis /failure scenarios I had decades ago where I had a ton of very special photos stored on a website / email address - they announced they were discontinuing the photo storage but the day got away from me and I put it off as I have been known to do - then I got a message while in my email saying basically THIS IS YOUR LAST SHOT TO GET YOUR PICTURES followed with a few "simple steps" (they are NEVER SIMPLE) - I followed all the directions and I was good to go and then it said now select this key combination and your download will begin but this must be done exactly or they will be gone forever so there I was with my finger poised to complete the process and MURPHY'S LAW popped up with a power surge that shut my computer down and my photos floated off into cyber space.    I tried tempting the gods and even tried contacting the company who said well set up another account with that name and maybe there will be there so I did and they weren't there but they said I owed them for the account I set up which I refused to pay because it was with the understanding the only reason was to get the photos and when they weren't there I said NO WAY coz they lead me to believe they would be and so I didn't get the loan for my house (to cut to the chase) because I had an unpaid bill with the phone carrier tied to the account.). 

It's complicated being me.

I have tried a program that's save a password of some kind that works pretty good for a while and then it asks me for the password that I set up the program with and I never know it.    Which is another reason, a shorter version need for the encrypted skin-tattoo process/invention I mentioned above.    I have copied and pasted those things including my bank card  / debit / credit etc. and it never seems to SEE them if they are copied in ---- not so fast young man you must TYPE IT IN kind of message - or else you must figure it out for yourself - there are boobi traps built into software programs I think and that copy-paste one is one I frequently come across especially when it is December 31 about 11:30 p.m. and it must be entered before midnight.

I hate passwords even while I understand the necessity.   

Passwords, as demonstrated below are sort of like an obstacle course meant to frustrate.   WHY DON'T THEY JUST TELL YOU ALL THIS STUFF UP FRONT instead of the trial and error - personally I thlink they enjoy having it you - getting to say NOPE that won't work because now you got to do such and so - and they never leave filled in all the parts that PASSED, nope - it all gets wiped out and you gotta start over from scratch.

Grrrrrrr ........................

I was having such a problem - kept getting messages of "that password is already taken" so finally I used a couple of combined four-letter words that expressed my outrage and SURPRISE - they passed.   Finally I had my new password.  Of course half the hairs on my head had been plucked out but I had my KEY!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 March 2016 - 11:27 PM.
deleted photo due to language in the image

#13 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

Just to make sure, I'd start a topic in " Am I Infected "

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users