Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Issue Asus Xonar DG

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dreamspinner3

Dreamspinner3

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

I am reinstalling my sound card drivers to try to solve a strange issue I'm having with my older computer.  My specs are here: 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/aMrQFbRTbJQuQ02GpDYgWaN

I have a Biostar motherboard Model TP43D2-A7 version 6.0 and a Asus Xonar DG audio card.  When I go to reinstall the driver, it asks me if I want to install HD audio or AC97.  I have no idea which to use, so I picked AC97 since my computer is an older machine.  How do I know which to use?

The problem I'm having is when I have Google Chrome open, sometimes my speakers emit a low hissing noise, like static.  When I close Google Chrome, the noise stops.  It is happening intermittently.  It isn't a big problem, but it is annoying.  It only happens when I use Google Chrome.

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

The HD Audio / AC 97 is asking you what type of front panel audio connections you have made to your sound card - this is usually whatever is fitted to your case or you may have a third party front audio panel fitted. None of the information you have supplied identifies this - you can only identify front panel audio connection by looking at it or finding it's documentation. If you do not have any front panel audio connected then it does not matter which you select.

If you have a front panel audio connection but do not know which type then you could:-

Identify the type of connections & select the appropriate one during reinstallation (this may also be selectable after installation somewhere in the driver options). Googling "front panel audio connector types" should provide you with enough information to identify the type (I found some nice diagrams but they were on another forum so I thought it better not to post a link)

or

Just don't use the front panel audio - in which case having the wrong connection type  selected will probably not affect anything

or

Just disconnect the front panel audio.

If you have a sound problem only when using Chrome then, as I suspect you won't have much success asking google about it, my suggestions would be:-

ignore it

or 

stop using Chrome

(I have a similar irritating audio problem when using ie11 on my Xonar D2X, but I have no idea whether that also would affect my on board audio if I removed the D2X)

Edited by rqt, 06 March 2016 - 03:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users