Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc need advice

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SpamBrownie

SpamBrownie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

Hi guys i am new here i am looking to get a new pc and would like some advice on what to get.

My current pc is not bad but its life is running out i have had it for 4 years now and its starting to show

Asus rampage Extreme iv 

Kingston Hyper X 16gb 1333mhz

SLI msi GTX 680 Twin Frozr (One just died)

i73930k

Cooler Master gold 1000w Powersuply

im looking to spend around £1500 i will use my HDD's i have 

any advice welcome

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:35 PM

That system is still good. What is your budget? What do you use this machine for?
I'm assuming by i7 3930k you mean i7 3960X because no 3930k exists.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 SpamBrownie

SpamBrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

Hi captain chicken i use it for gaming but i am starting to have to lower graphics settings in games to be able to run them smoothly and my cpu is a i7 3930k http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/Intel-Core-i7-3930K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz .

thanks

sam

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the link! Never heard of that cpu before.

Youpr motherboard and cpu are relatively recent and should be plenty for modern games. However, your gpus are relatively old. I recommend the gtx 980ti since you have such a large budget.
http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142&cm_re=video_cards-_-14-487-142-_-Product

Your budget is big enough you could buy 2 and put them in SLI.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Your machine is OK except video cards. Add SSD and wait for new technology GPU's. GTX980Ti manufacturing tech is 28nm, that is over 4 years old so wait for better ones, not many months. Also because 980Ti DirectX 12 support is lacking, that is basically no future proof card with very old manufacturing tech. High price tag means it's basically waste of money.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

The 980ti is not "basically" a waste of money. It is more than capable of running modern-day games. DirectX 12 is an api. It has little effect on performance. You could wait for new gpu architectures to release later this year.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

The 980ti is not "basically" a waste of money. It is more than capable of running modern-day games. DirectX 12 is an api. It has little effect on performance. You could wait for new gpu architectures to release later this year.

I would expect that 650 dollar video card is much more than "capable of running modern-day games". It is manufactured using very old manufacturing process and is not very future proof either. So 650 dollar price means it is overpriced without question. If someone want graphics card right now, then there is not much choice but it does not change that overpriced fact at all.

DX12 little effect on performance? Using asynchronous shaders has proved to give at least 30% performance boost on consoles. And that is just single DX12 feature, there are many more. DX12 is more revolutionary than just little boost.

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

Where are you getting these arbitrary numbers? 30% is a random number you throw out there a lot without backing it up with evidence. And since when were we talking about consoles? I mean sure, waiting for new gpu architectures might be a good idea, but the consumer wants what is out now I'm pretty sure. Now to DX11 vs DX12
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jsxn93Wb7vk

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:55 AM

Where are you getting these arbitrary numbers? 30% is a random number you throw out there a lot without backing it up with evidence. And since when were we talking about consoles? I mean sure, waiting for new gpu architectures might be a good idea, but the consumer wants what is out now I'm pretty sure. Now to DX11 vs DX12
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jsxn93Wb7vk

Considering how async shaders work, that is 30% is easy to believe, AMD has show good case scenario gain to be 46%. Also Mantle (beta drivers) vs DX11 benchmarks on real games have shown performance benefits that must come from somewhere.
http://gearnuke.com/oxide-dev-console-devs-now-getting-30-extra-gpu-performance-via-async-compute/
http://wccftech.com/amd-improves-dx12-performance-45-gpu-asynchronous-compute-engines/
http://wccftech.com/amd-mantle-direct-battlefield-4-multiplayer-benchmarks/

Why consoles? With DX11 it's impossible to use asynchronous shaders. And many other things. So in case we have PC with same hardware that Xbox One uses, using DX11 there is absolutely no way to match Xbox one performance, because DX11 limits performance and features. Low level API like Mantle (DX12 and Vulkan are basically Mantle forks) allow to use many kind of "console features" on PC. PS4 and X1 both have slightly modified Radeon GCN hardware inside. Very much simplified:

DX12=anything console can do, PC can do.
DX11=many things console can do, PC cannot.

So feature and speed wise, DX12 brings PC nearly on par with consoles. While you're right with that "api will make small difference", it really will make even small difference itself. Instead it allows to make big difference. 3D cards did not make difference on 2D games, but 3D supporting api's were needed to get 3D accelerated cards and games that supported them. Without 3D supporting api, no 3D graphic cards and no 3D games.

For getting "something that is out now" is generally good idea. Still those bad things should be pointed out. So that after six months We don't see rage message like "Polaris and Pascal really trashes this 650 dollar piece of crap I thought to be modern technology and future proof. Why nobody told me about this??"

As for 650 dollar card most people would expect that...  And anyone who spends 650 dollars for GPU should be interested how it performs tomorrow and next year, not just today.

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:34 AM

Actually, the 980ti does support asynchronous shaders.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3j5e9b/analysis_async_compute_is_it_true_nvidia_cant_do/

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

That info is 6 months old. While AMD fully support async shaders on hardware, Nvidia does not. Based on information that is available today, even Pascal will not support async shaders.

While everything can be emulated with software, hardware implementation is always superior to any software emulation. Also Nvidia said they will enable async shader support on drivers. Almost 7 months and counting...

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

Actually, the 980ti does support asynchronous shaders.https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3j5e9b/analysis_async_compute_is_it_true_nvidia_cant_do/

That info is 6 months old. While AMD fully support async shaders on hardware, Nvidia does not. Based on information that is available today, even Pascal will not support async shaders.

While everything can be emulated with software, hardware implementation is always superior to any software emulation. Also Nvidia said they will enable async shader support on drivers. Almost 7 months and counting...

For one thing all your articles were older than 6 months, some older than a year. Second, asynchronous shaders cannot be simulated, you have to have hardware support. Third, if asynchronous shaders can't be simulated, as your article has provided, the 980ti hasn't changed in 6 months or since it was released, my information is still relevant. Prove to me that Nvidia promised that driver support was coming. And if 6 months ago, the 980ti drivers supported asynchronous shaders, and they give a performance boost, why would Nvidia remove them?

As to preserve the OP's original problem, stop feeding the trolls and arguing with the fanboys, I am going to stop posting on this thread unless the OP directly asks for my help.

Chicken

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:59 PM

I dunno if op is still interested but 3 things need upgrading

RAM @ least 16gb at 1600mhz, 2400mhz if possible eg Gskill ripjawz

500-512gb ssd, 1 tb+ is ideal eg Samsung evo, 850 pro, or 950 pro (you'll need pcie adapter)

Gpu 390X crossfire eg Sapphire nitro or xfx double dissipation

If you are at 3440x1440 or less R9 Fury x in crossfire will work

like drillingmachine said the current AMD gpu's are better suited for the long haul(DX12)

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:41 AM

Apologies to the OP...for the off-topic differences displayed fully by the two "helpers" who seem to have forgotten what "help" is.

There will be no more of this non-contributory display of different opinions within a topic which is started by a member seeking assistance, not the display which has resulted.

Louis

#15 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

@diggi
RAM speed matters very little above 1333MTps. Source.
SSD size all depends on what you need to access quickly. I have a 240GB SSD in my rig and it works fine.
The GPU options you suggested, while possible, are a little overkill IMO. I run 2 1440p monitors on a pair of 290Xs. If the OP does want the best that money can by right now, then (AMD Fan though I am) I would say GTX 980Ti. If they are in it for the long haul, I would wait til Pascal and Polaris hit the market... and are benchmarked before making a GPU decision.

@OP, when do you plan to go through with this upgrade? Time frame will dictate our recommendations.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users