I started cleaning this computer up for a friend. Initially she couldn't even access the internet. Initially it seemed as if I was able to clean it up pretty good. I used Malwarebytes to do the job. However each time I clean it up & rescan it, it seems to find the same infections even after they are quarantined and deleted. Once the trial for Malwarebytes expired, I decided to try using Microsoft Security Essential, made some headway there, The system seemed to be responding pretty well as I was uninstalling unnecessary programs and some browser ad-ons. Windows updates were now coming in and actually being installed successfully on the first try. Unfortunately, that only lasted for a while, because again as I quarantine remove infections, they were detected, quarantined and removed...a few times
Currently, it seems as if it isn't the same infections being detected, but something "new".
I recently disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and Installed Avast Antivirus. I wanted to see what it would catch. It is scanning now, so far it has stopped one or two threats, It hasn't completed it's scan yet. So I am waiting to see what it finds. In the mean time, I decided I'd better reach out for some help, so I hope you guys can help me.
At some point during all of this I decided to uninstall Java so I could go on download and install the newest version of Java available. Once I begin the install, it just stops, then a little while later the message will pop asking if I wanted to Reinstall this program with correctly or it the other option is no the program Installed correctly.
I also uninstalled Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash in an attempt to Reinstall the newest version of each. Each time I go to install either of them neither of them will install. The Adobe Download Manager will pop up and just sit there, a blank box in the middle of the screen until I close it. Once I close it, instantly Internet Explorer which is not my default browser opens up to the Adobe (reader / flash) website to try to get me to try downloading and installing the Adobe programs from Internet Explorer.I tried it, and of course, it the same as it did when I tried to download an install it from Firefox, which is my default browser.
Again, I hope you guys can help, I really do. I know I could just reset the system back to factory conditions, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do that, unless I absolutely have to. Besides I'm really curious as to advice you guys can give me, so I can see what's really going on with this system.