Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secure file deletion

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 baabel

baabel

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hello !

What programs do you use for secure file deletion?

There seems to be a recent problem with Eraser when installed on a new computer.

Even the old builds do not seem to be working.

I know that you can securely delete with CCleaner but you have to wipe the entire drives free space.

I see only a few other programs around to delete individual files.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2016 - 05:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:28 AM

What has happened is that my favorite program, Eraser, seems to not function on newly purchased computers running Windows 7.  Even older versions of Eraser do not seem to be working.  Is it a change in Eraser or is it a change in Windows?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

What version are you running.  The latest I was able to find is the 6.0.10 version.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

Eraser 6.2.0.2970, the newest, would not install a file right-click context option. 

Eraser 6.2.0.2969  &  6.2.0.2962 have a right-click option but it doesn't erase!  The messages appear that a file is being erased and then that it is erased, but the file actually is not erased.

So what, I wonder, is different?  Did Eraser modify past versions to render them useless?  Did something change in my just purchased Windows 7 to render Eraser not functional?

There was something in the Eraser Forum about the right-click option not appearing but no solution was offered.  There was no mention of failure of past versions.

I am not sure where the problem is.

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

Dumb question but did you open a file and see if there is any data still in the file?

I used one long ago that would delete the contents but not the file /folder.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#6 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

Actually, I did not.  I didn't think to check.

I deleted the test file without opening it.

Shortly afterwards another program stopped opening and I elected to remove Eraser from the computer.  I am not sure the two problems were related or coincidence.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

I haven't tried these but I came across them recently so I thought you might be interested...

Both programs are free, tiny (under 1 MB) and free.

#8 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

I'll take a look.

Honestly, since the problems I had with Eraser I be wary of trying something new.

I'd prefer someone with more computer knowledge than me to have tried it out.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

I should have mentioned that both programs are also portable.  Just extract either program to a folder of your choice and run the executable.  If you don't like the program, just delete the folder you made and it's gone from your system.  No need to uninstall.

#10 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

Perhaps being portable they wouldn't interact badly with Windows 7 as Eraser now seems to be doing.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

I can't say whether they will interact badly with Windows but the only way to know is to try them.  Have you tried either program?  Some feedback would be welcome.

#12 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

I think I am going to research some more and look for other's experiences with some of the file deletion programs.  It seems that secure file deletion should be something that many people need. 

#13 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

You're wrong about CCleaner, it's quite easy to erase files without wiping the whole drive.

Just delete the files you want to get rid of, and they will be sent to your Recycle Bin.

Next open CCleaner and check Empty Recycle Bin is selected in the Cleaner section (it is by default).

• Go to Options > Settings
  • Check Secure file deletion (slower) and from the drop down menu below, choose the number of "eraser" passes you want CCleaner to make.
  • Go to Cleaner and click on Run Cleaner (you can run an Analyze scan first if you wish)

CCleaner will now erase/overwrite the data that it finds with the number of passes you specified.

Edited by Gary R, 10 March 2016 - 06:35 PM.

#14 baabel

baabel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:27 AM

OK - let me see if I understand.

CCleaner will securely erase a file after I delete it.

I do not do this through a right-click context menu, simply by checking secure file deletion and then running CCleaner after I delete a file?

I didn't know that.

If that is the case then I never really needed Eraser, right?

#15 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:56 AM

Yes, that's pretty much it.

CCleaner can either delete your temp files and the files in your Recycle Bin, or it can erase them, it's just dependant on what option you've selected in Settings (default is delete).

The only disadvantage to erasing them, is that it takes a bit longer for CCleaner to complete once you've clicked on Run Cleaner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users