Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates problem won't let me install Windows 10 or ANY updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lorelei

Lorelei

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

I have Windows 7 and something appears to be keeping it from finding and installing ANY updates, let alone Windows 10.

No new updates for MONTHS. "Checking for updates" can run forever and not find anything.

I have the Windows 10 icon & the GWX.exe (or whatever it's called), but once I click on it, it disappears.

I did make a USB of the Windows 10 software, but I don't want to attempt that until I know the Windows update (ANY updates) will be fixed through that install, or whether I need to fix that problem first before attempting to install Win10 from a USB or disc.

Did a few run-of-the-mill basic troubleshooting and suggestions, but nothing has worked.

I'm not tech savvy, but I know enough about computers to do some real damage in the really pissed off state I'm in. Sometimes, like now, I'm smart enough to know not to go there and ask around instead.

Help. 

I tried restoring to the last restore point when Windows updates were working fine. This restore failed, likely due to the fact that the last restore point when updates DID work was months prior.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 March 2016 - 04:56 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

If you type Services.msc in the Start menu search bar and open the console, search for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service and Windows Update service. They should be set to Automatic (Delayed Start), and they should be Started. If they aren't, right click each and select Start.

If that doesn't resolve it, try resetting the Windows Update components:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

#3 Lorelei

Lorelei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the response.

Services.msc ~ Both boxes appropriately set as indicated.

Fix-it tool ~ Have tried that several times, to no avail. I believe the following error message is from the LAST time I ran that tool:

Problems found

Service registration is missing or corrupt ~ (Not fixed)

Windows Update error 0x8024402C ~ (Not fixed)

Other notes 

Uninstalled AVG Tuneup & ran that fix it (earlier), which gave me the above "problems found" response.

Changed Win update settings to "Install automatically) ~ (usually have it set to download updates & let me choose, or prompt me when new updates are available)

Tried turning off my firewall, et al, but that never helped, so it's back on

Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED!

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

Did you try the manual steps below the FixIt tools in the link I provided?

You can also try this -- in the Start button search bar, type in cmd, then right click on the command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type

net stop wuauserv

and hit enter. Then type

wuauclt /detectnow

This should begin downloading updates in the background.

#5 Lorelei

Lorelei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

Did you try the manual steps below the FixIt tools in the link I provided?

You can also try this -- in the Start button search bar, type in cmd, then right click on the command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.

At the command prompt, type

net stop wuauserv

and hit enter. Then type

wuauclt /detectnow

This should begin downloading updates in the background.

"Did you try the manual steps below the FixIt tools in the link I provided?"

Oops

Okay, I'll go back and pay attention this time.

See how that works; and, depending on results, will try the other info you posted.

Thanks TONS!

#6 Lorelei

Lorelei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Vacuum cleaner!

(Can't say EUREKA as it's early stages, but I'm cautiously optimistic)

What's SOLVED ~ 

• Automatic Windows finally found some updates and those are now installed. I know there have to be a lot more, so I'm going to see what happens in the next few days.
  • Manually checking for update ALSO works now. Previously, it just ran and ran and ran.
  • Windows Update error 0x8024402C ~ (FIXED)
  • Service registration is missing or corrupt ~ (FIXED)

Windows 10 upgrade ~

I think I should leave the computer alone for awhile and let it run any background stuffies before I upgrade to Windows 10. 

Considering this problem, anything I should be aware of?

I've upgraded a different computer to Win10 before without any issues, but didn't start out with problems, so I'm a bit cautious.

MAJOR THANKS sflatechguy !!!!!

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Glad to hear that's resolved. :thumbup2:

Make sure all pending updates are installed, and that your system meets the requirements for Windows 10.

There are known issues sometimes with installing Win10 from updates. Given the issues you were having, you might want to read through this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

#8 Lorelei

Lorelei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:15 PM

Heh, heh, heh ....

Come ON. Read THAT?

You just KNOW I'm going to try to wing it and them come back here and cry.

Get the tissues ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users