Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 adam453

adam453

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

Alright so my ISP provides me with 60 mbps upload and download, however i only get best performance using a ethernet cable with my router. So pretty much I have 6-10 devices connected to the router which, I know it should reduce wireless speeds but the wireless speeds are at an incredible low. If im standing 5 feet away from my router with the antenna pointed in my direction im getting .58 - 3 mbps  of download speed which is absolutely garbage. My router is the typical Ml424WR verizon router, and im wondering if the router is just getting old and can't handle this many devices being connected to it? If so, would buying a new router do anything good? Any tips or feedback would be much appreciated (:

Attached Files

Edited by adam453, 05 March 2016 - 02:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 adam453

adam453
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

Anyone? 

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:23 PM

Based on the specs for that router, while it's using dual band, it's only utilizing the 2.4 GHz band, which tends to be less able to handle larger data rates. Combine that with the number of clients utilizing the access point at the same time, and that will affect your overall data speeds. In addition, 2.4 Ghz is more likely to suffer from interference from other devices, like garage door openers and other devices that broadcast. Bluetooth also operates on this spectrum.

Try getting something that supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

What wifi channel/band are you on? You can download the speed test app on your phone or tablet, run that scan, and see if other wifi networks are on the same one.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users