Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen saver problem ...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kez8

Kez8

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi, I realise this might well sound pretty trivial, but I'm ~Gutted by the loss of a beautiful screensaver,    ..  happened just this evening  ..been on my laptop for years.... 

... Another pic  got clicked on by mistake, took over as screensaver and deleted the original....
I cannot find it anywhere In my Pic files....
. It has totally disappeared...  Is there ~Any way I can retrieve it ?  I have ,already tried system restore, but it doesn't help..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Gutted by the loss of a beautiful screensaver

Well that doesn't sound like any of the screensavers that comes with XP. What SS did you lose?

Do you still have all the provided ones & do they work?

Opening or clicking on a pic [perhaps you meant screensaver]  should not cause the complete loss of a screensaver.

Right click on your Desktop, select Properties, and click on the Screensaver Tab. Click the drop down arrow. Check that you simply didn't overlook it.

Windows XP screensavers are located in:  C:\Windows\System32  The files have the extension .scr

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

Desktop wallpaper or screensave?

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:52 PM

Desktop wallpaper or screensave?

I'm thinking that also. He may just really meant Wallpaper. 

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 Kez8

Kez8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:53 AM

Gutted by the loss of a beautiful screensaver

Well that doesn't sound like any of the screensavers that comes with XP. What SS did you lose?

The screensaver wasn't provided by windows...
I came across this incredible photograph on,what turned out to be a ~ Seriously bad virus infecting website.....

I believe it might have been Snappy do, Bizzybolt and some third party whose name I can't remember... but then again, it might have been another similar "invader "...I've had several...

Anyway,  I downloaded the photo onto my desktop..

and over a day or two all hell broke lose, with a hideous virus mushrooming throughout my entire computer system,such that it became,vertually unusable......

I,eventually, managed to get rid of the vile infection... ( Via Spyhunter 4, Costly !  )    however, all that remained of these low life scam artists offerings .. was their most amazing,irreplaceable, screensaver of a ~Waterfall   ! 

..not a 3d moving type, no need for gimmicks with THAT beauty, ...

Lifted my heart so much, whenever I switched on my comp...One of those rare, highlights, in my life (sad, I know )

All I can think is that as the screensaver was taken directly from their server, ( I am assuming,therefore, it wasn't saved anywhere within my computer system  ?  )    thus when the pic got deleted, it is gone for good .....

Since losing the pic, I've,already, searched through loads and loads of photos of waterfalls online...~ Nothing even comes ~Near, to the one I had ! 

I doubt I will see the like of it again ...

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

Neither pictures nor screensavers are deleted when they are replaced...as long as they are files stored on the hard drive.

As for the possibility that the screensaver was not, in fact, a screensaver...but a graphic hosted by another website...that doesn't seem possible to me.

In any case, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-your-screen-saver .

You can do a search of your system for all .scr files in an effort to locate the missing file, using a tool such as   Everything Search Engine - http://www.voidtools.com/ .

Louis

#7 Kez8

Kez8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

As for the possibility that the screensaver was not, in fact, a screensaver..

Thank you for the info, Btw,  the pic was set as  ~desktop background I believe .... so hope the tool will be suitable for purpose as well as nice n' easy to use  ...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

To see all graphics files...you must be able to see the file extension (there are many, with .jpg, .bmp, and .png being the extensions that I see the most).

With Everything, all you do is type *.jpg on the upper line and it will display all .jpg files on the system.

If you don't know the file name or the file extension...you probably won't find it.

Louis

#9 Kez8

Kez8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

If you don't know the file name or the file extension...you probably won't find it.

....Last night I  checked through every image possible on my comp with a data recovery tool called ~  Tenorshare..... the images come up clearly with this service so it is really easy to use.  Unfortunately, my waterfall was nowhere to be found...

Much appreciate your advice, however,it is not worth attempting to use   " Everything search "  as I have no idea what the file extension / name is ...so I will just have to be philosophical about the loss .....

Instead,now,  got some beautiful wild mustang horses racing out of the screen at me ever ytime I switch on...which is inspiring in itself.....

We got to search hard and hold on to the beauty in life, wherever or by whatever means it may come  to us .... :love4u:

Edited by Kez8, 08 March 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users