Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows SBS 2003 ntoskrnl.exe corrupted and won't boot

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jasoncape

jasoncape

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

I have a HP Proliant Server with SATA controller. The system deadends with the corrupt file message. I have loaded the HP disk but it only gives me a choice to reload the whole software but not to repair. 

I wish I had a recovery disk. With HP, I have this HP Pro:iant ML110 G5 Server Easy Set Up CD and the Disk 2, 3 and 4 for small business server R2.

How do I re-instate the boot sequence?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

If the ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted, altering or editing the boot sequence won't help. That is the kernel image, so if that's shot, so is the entire OS. Without a recovery disk that gets you to the Windows recovery environment, there isn't much you can do. :mellow:

#3 jasoncape

jasoncape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

I am trying to get a recovery disk.

My other idea is to add a hard drive to the array and load the OS again there. Just not sure if I have the skills to do this since it has an array.

Jason

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Adding a disk to the RAID array won't work -- you won't be able to install the OS on just that one disk. If you add it as a separate disk outside the array and set it to boot from that disk, you may be able to access the RAID array as a separate drive once the OS boots. You could then recover some files, but that wouldn't include systems settings and preferences, including user accounts.

Your best bet is to launch into the recovery environment and try to restore the system from there.

#5 jasoncape

jasoncape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

I have made it to a Recovery Disk setup but I haven't been able to bootcfg /rebuild.

I am running chkdsk but it didn't work once but I am forcing this time again,

#6 eddiek989

eddiek989

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

Don't do any changes on the array, any changes in the drives on that array might cost you all of your data. I had a similar issue once, I ended up copying the corrupted file from another installation of the same OS. the quickest way to do this is to lead any live lunix distribution that doesn't need installation such as ubuntu or simply connect another hard drive to the onboard port on the server and do any windows installation to get the job done. then use the file explorer to navigate through the files on the array and paste your new copy of ntoskrnl.exe to it's location after taking copy of the old corrupt file. once done try to boot into your original installation.

I wouldn't recommend to download this file off the internet unless you trust that source.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

@eddiek989's suggestion is probably the best course of action. The only thing I would add is don't download the ntoskrnl.exe file from the Internet at all -- copy it from the installation disk.

#8 jasoncape

jasoncape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for the response. 

I am now able to boot to a Hirem's Recovery Disk and none of the ntoskrnl.exe solutions work(it has 10). It doesn't really recognize the Windows system. I can boot to a mini Windows XP version that allows me to see my files and disk drives. I don't think the ntoskrnl.exe is necessarily missing or corrupt as much as the system doesn't want to go to the location to boot. 

Here is the exact message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Now my question: is the file corrupt or missing OR is the computer lost on boot? When I get into Explorer and see the way my drives are set up, I have Windows on the E: and F: drives (keep in mind I have an array which I think is setup with 2 drives mirrored to 2 drives?). How do I know which is the Windows Root where this is located? How do I confirm that the computer is looking in the right place? 

Thanks for the input. Right now I feel I could save the data but I would like to get the computer running like it used to as it would save a lot of effort in a reconfiguration. 

#9 jasoncape

jasoncape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

Still looking for help now that I can boot to a recovery platform just don't know how to resolve the Boot file or why the system won't boot properly. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Since it's a mirrored array, you may have to break the mirror, then try booting from each disk separately. This might help: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783353%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

Doesnt Hirens have a option that fixes ntoskrnl.exe, im sure i have seen that on the main menu?

#12 jasoncape

jasoncape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:52 AM

Hirens does have 10 options to fix ntoskrnl.exe missing but the problem is that they don't appear to get to the files to make the exchange.

Breaking the mirror is a little scary for me so I need to know why I have to do it. My hope is to get this booting again and have it back in operation with the same operating parameters before the lost boot configuration issue. 

If someone could verify that this will make the difference then I will trust the path but I don't know why I have the malfunction yet.

Thanks for the input.

Jason

#13 jasoncape

jasoncape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

I have finally made it to have windows 2003 boot but nothing is networking. The password I use to log on doesn't work for access from other computers. I don't know why this is the case or what I have to do to get this back to the original network functionality. 

Anyone an expert on Windows SBS that I can trust to dial in and fix for $?

Jason

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I have finally made it to have windows 2003 boot but nothing is networking. The password I use to log on doesn't work for access from other computers. I don't know why this is the case or what I have to do to get this back to the original network functionality. 

Anyone an expert on Windows SBS that I can trust to dial in and fix for $?

Jason

So you can fire the server up, does it have the same IP address as it preciously did.

Other things to check, can a PC ping the server, IF yes then it should eb able to browser a server share.

If not then check firewall, flush dns on both client and server.

Also note you may need to reset the machine passwords using netdom (If 2003 uses netdom which i cant remember).

"The password I use to log on doesn't work for access from other computers." not sure what you mean there mate!

#15 eddiek989

eddiek989

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

does this server hold the AD? for how long has it been down for? do you have other servers on the network and do you have AD replication?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users