Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont load, only shows unresposive Toshiba screen

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Phil2

Phil2

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

Thank you for any help or advice in advance! :)

My laptop became really slow late yesterday evening then began to make a 'whirring' noise followed by clicks. It subsequently turned itself off and then reloaded with the following message:

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (BUILD 083)

This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:

US5, 307, 459, US5, 434, 872, US5, 732, 094, US6, 570, 884, US6, 115, 776 and

US6, 327, 625

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.38 (12/24/10)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

At first I could gain access to BIOS and then when I turned it off and tried to gain access to safemode it only loaded the Toshiba screen with options to:

"Press <F2> to enter SETUP

Press <F12> to enter BOOT MENU"

Now when I try to enter setup or the bootmenu the laptop is unresponsive, where previously it was.

What's the issue and can it be fixed? Or is it, like I feel it is, done for and I should now start trying to recover my data (assuming it can be)?

Again, thanks for any help and advice!

- Phil

Edited by hamluis, 05 March 2016 - 01:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

This sounds like a hardware problem.  You could attempt getting your data two ways.  First you could try booting a Linux disc or flash drive.  Linux Mint has an interface similar to Windows so you wouldn't have to learn anything about Linux besides how to download it and make a bootable drive.  You can go to https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php and download an ISO to make the bootable DVD, boot from it, and be up and running in under 4 minutes without having to install anything.  Another option would be to remove the hard drive, put it into a $20 enclosure, and plug it into a USB port on a working computer.  If the drive is readable, one of these two should at least allow you to retrieve your data.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

This sounds like a hardware problem.  You could attempt getting your data two ways.  First you could try booting a Linux disc or flash drive.  Linux Mint has an interface similar to Windows so you wouldn't have to learn anything about Linux besides how to download it and make a bootable drive.  You can go to https://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php and download an ISO to make the bootable DVD, boot from it, and be up and running in under 4 minutes without having to install anything.  Another option would be to remove the hard drive, put it into a $20 enclosure, and plug it into a USB port on a working computer.  If the drive is readable, one of these two should at least allow you to retrieve your data.  

Good luck.

Thanks, Niweg! :)

Since I last posted my laptop screen wont come on at all now, though the lights on the front are still active. Is there still any point in trying to boot using Linux Mint in light of this?

I tried to read my HDD using my TV and a HDMI and it didn't pick it up, so not sure about number 2. If it is broken then is their any chance of retrieving my data?

Thanks again!

- Phil

#4 Eiv4sir

Eiv4sir

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:42 PM

The clapping noise you heard could have been a platter in the hdd. You can try pulling hdd and see if you can at least get a screen to come up.. Other option is remove CD player. And see if boots should be one acre on base of player. I only say this as I fixed a toshiba doing simaler thing it was the DVD player but I'd try player first.

#5 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

Sound like dying HDD to me

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

Open the BIOS and see if the hdd is recognized there.

When you hear a clicking sound in a situation like this it is often the hdd failing.  This clicking is known as the "click of death".

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

HI, Arachibutyrophobia!

Since I made that post my screen will not even load anymore, it's just black and nothing comes on. Though the lights are still on at the front.

I can gain no access at all to my computer.

What do I do now? Would making a Boot disc on another laptop and putting that into my laptop make a difference? If not what can I do for data recover?

Thanks,

Phil

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

If it were me, I'd boot Linux Mint just to see what happens.  Since we all agree that you have some hardware problem, the only way to know for sure if your hard drive is still accessible would be to remove it and put it in an enclosure like I suggested earlier.  If it indeed has died, that's not going to work obviously, but it's your best chance to recover any data on it unless you want to pay big bucks to have a professional data recovery outfit.

Good luck.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

HI, Arachibutyrophobia!

Since I made that post my screen will not even load anymore, it's just black and nothing comes on. Though the lights are still on at the front.

I can gain no access at all to my computer.

What do I do now? Would making a Boot disc on another laptop and putting that into my laptop make a difference? If not what can I do for data recover?

Thanks,

Phil

Using the instructions I provided for the SeaTools for DOS you will create a bootable disc which the computer will boot from.  This means that you will not be booting from Windows.  The only thing you may need to do would be to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

You can create this disc on another computer.

There are several choices for salvaging your data, but let's find out what is going on with the hdd first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hiya, Arachi!

Thank you for taking time out to help me! It's appreciated!

I tried to Download the 'Sea tool for DOS' and it keeps saying:

"Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand".

That was with Firefox so tried IE and that did the same thing. I tried this on two different laptops so I believe there's something wrong with the link. Could you provide me with a new one?

Thank you,

Phil

---------EDIT/UPDATE----------

Firstly, my screen won't come on now so I can't gain access to the BIOS and change it like you asked.

However, I did manage to download the Sea Tools programme in the end and burn it to a CD and put it in my laptop. Nothing happened but the disc spinning. The laptop continues to make a noise like a record player needle gently scratching across vinyl.

What should I do now?

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by Phil2, 07 March 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#11 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

Hey, Niweg!

Thanks :), will be trying everything as I don't really wanna fork out for a new HDD nor a professional data retrieval job!

Phil

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

Phil2

If you edit your post no notifications will be sent to those posting in this topic.  For this reason I wasn't aware that you had been able to download the SeaTools for DOS.

The BIOS is separate from the operating system.  So if the computer's hardware is working properly you should be able to access and change the BIOS boot order.

If you are not able to access the BIOS your options for recovery of your data will involve connecting this hdd to another computer and try to access your data from there.  Do not try to boot from this hdd in another computer.

Edited to add:  If you can't change the boot order you will not be able to use a disc with Linux or any other distro.

Edited by dc3, 08 March 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#13 Phil2

Phil2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

Phil2

If you edit your post no notifications will be sent to those posting in this topic.  For this reason I wasn't aware that you had been able to download the SeaTools for DOS.

The BIOS is separate from the operating system.  So if the computer's hardware is working properly you should be able to access and change the BIOS boot order.

If you are not able to access the BIOS your options for recovery of your data will involve connecting this hdd to another computer and try to access your data from there.  Do not try to boot from this hdd in another computer.

Edited to add:  If you can't change the boot order you will not be able to use a disc with Linux or any other distro.

Hey, dc3.

Sorry about the edit mishap, won't happen again.

I tried my HDD in my sister's Toshiba laptop, the only difference with her's and mine is her's is more new (her's 2014 and mine 2012), but the drives are the same with the same connections. I hope this was alright as I have no other laptops to use.

You said not to try to boot from the HDD in another computer? I tried to load BIOS to avoid that by pressing F10.

The result of this was the following message: "No bootable device -- Please restart system".

I tried my sister's HDD in my laptop and nothing happened either. So I'm assuming there's some other hardware issue on my laptop other than the HDD?

Could you advise me any further on this issue?

Thanks,

Phil

#14 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:55 PM

Buy a $20 enclosure, put that HDD in it, and plug it into a USB port in your sister's PC.

Good luck.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hey, dc3.

Sorry about the edit mishap, won't happen again.

I tried my HDD in my sister's Toshiba laptop, the only difference with her's and mine is her's is more new (her's 2014 and mine 2012), but the drives are the same with the same connections. I hope this was alright as I have no other laptops to use.

You said not to try to boot from the HDD in another computer? I tried to load BIOS to avoid that by pressing F10.

The result of this was the following message: "No bootable device -- Please restart system".

I tried my sister's HDD in my laptop and nothing happened either. So I'm assuming there's some other hardware issue on my laptop other than the HDD?

Could you advise me any further on this issue?

Thanks,

Phil

There is a problem with moving a hdd with a Windows operating system installed on it to another computer.  More specifically the problem is the hdd see a different motherboard.  Each motherboard has identifiers which are tied to the Windows operating system.  When you move a hdd with Windows installed on it to another computer (motherboard) it will see a different set of identifiers.  This could cause the operating system to basically become confused and fail to boot.

With Window 7, 8.1, and now 10 there is a way to get around this problem.

If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 7 or 8.1 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications. You want to remove all hardware identifiers from the HDD/SSD, this generalizes the drive.

Click on the Start orb, then type cmd in the Search box.

cmd will appear under Programs above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then 
use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown.

Don't power the drive back on until it's in the other computer.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

When you put your sister's hdd back in her computer did it boot properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users