Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unhappy Macbook Part 1 - very slow after last update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

Hi,

I have a 2008 A1181 Macbook running Snow Leopard  and it's not happy, it was until a month of so ago when an update from Apple came down the wire and screwed it up and screwed it up in that where it used to take about two minutes to start up in now takes nigh on five minutes - immediatey after the update it took ten minutes to start, where who knows what else is wrong as in disgust I switched to using Linux, but now I need the Mac again so have to address the issue.

( Edited to add ; there is another problem I almost immediately noticed after the update, power consumption is increased meaning the battery drains a lot faster which is equally annoying )

Oh and I did verify the disk and repair permissions after than ten minute start.

Now it is I was informed by another there had been complaints about a certain recent update from Apple and and a patch had been created and true enough I have had notifications of further Apple software to install but I haven't installed through a certain distrust given the software states it's compatible with a later version of os x.

Does anyone know anything about this and how I can get my Macbook back to how it was or at least better than it is now?

Edited by Habesque, 05 March 2016 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rinnegan

Rinnegan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your computing problems, happens to the best of us. Are you not interested in upgrading the OS to say something more recent like Yosemite? Try a clean install of snow? Reformat the drive and start fresh? These all may be time consuming offers to solve your problem, but I would be surprised if they don't work. Can't say I've heard anything as far as bad updates though, recently at least...

#3 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

As far as I am aware the furthest I can update on that machine is Lion, but I rather like Snow Leopard and no I can't do a clean install as a) my CD drive is screwed and B) the licensed software that is on the drive some of the discs I no longer have, nor can I afford to repace, we are talking Adobe design standard here, though yes I agree a clean reinstall would be nice if not beneficial as that drive is five years old now and was originally in a later MBP that succumbed to fluid damage. A later MBP that is casuing problems with Itunes, hence ' unhappy macbook part 1 ' - sort out  the latest problem first.

But something occurred, I back the Mac up to external drive once a month via Time Machine, I have not done it before but would entering time machine and selecting an image from before the problem solve the problem ?

Ideally a newer Mac a MBP of at least the age mine was before I killed it would be good but due to funding issues that is not a possibility the same with my i-phone I hope to sort out i-tunes to sort out is of a similar vintage it being a 3G.

Edited by Habesque, 05 March 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:49 AM

Twenty steps to help diagnose and fix system issues

Mac OS X

Basic Troubleshooting & Maintenance Tips for beginners and advanced users

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

#5 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Thank You.

My first job though is to make a bootable USB - where when I have OS X in a form I can use I will feel more confident with messing about with stuff I will be honest, I don't fully understand, though I do have a clone of the current hard drive as well as the Time Machine back up.

All this to preserve my software where I  just can't lose it again.

#6 Rinnegan

Rinnegan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

niceeee i really like that first link...

#7 PeterStevens

PeterStevens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:21 AM

I know with the more recent versions of OSX you can create a bootable USB key with the installer, seems it's also possible with Snow Leopard: https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-mac-snow-leopard-usb-installer-disk/ (as already mentioned above)

I have stopped my OSX upgrades at Mavericks, my 09 MBP wasn't a fan of the more recent ones..

Edited by PeterStevens, 10 March 2016 - 02:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users