Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft wants to lock everyone into its store via universal Windows apps

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

Microsoft wants to lock everyone into its store via universal Windows apps, says game kingpin

The founder of Epic Games says that Microsoft is trying to lock Windows developers into using its app store for all their products.

Tim Sweeney reckons the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) is a power-grab from Redmond to force software companies into selling their work applications solely through the Windows Store.

"Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games," Sweeney writes.

Unveiled in 2015, UWP allows developers to create applications that will run smoothly across the desktop, tablet and mobile versions of Windows: a single Visual Studio project can target multiple platforms, with the builds delivered to users through Microsoft's own Windows Store.

While Microsoft says that the aim of the platform is to simplify software development and compatibility, Sweeney charges that UWP, and the unique Windows features it gives access to, will also kill off third-party software stores and developers who want to directly sell their software without paying Microsoft a 30 per cent cut.

And so it begins. I have said from the beginning that eventually programs will only be available through the Microsoft store with Microsoft getting a cut from every install.

Here is the full article from Tim Sweeney here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 March 2016 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

Well, well, well, imagine that. M$ is after the almighty dollar. Shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:09 PM

Well, well, well, imagine that. M$ is after the almighty dollar. Shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

One could insert any technology company for "M$" above and it would be equally true.

It will be an awfully long time before the Windows ecosystem could possibly be completely rid of third-party, outside The Store players.  The embedded base is simply huge and I cannot even imagine a day when installed programs could or would be entirely replaced by apps.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

Oh my freaking gosh this is not good. Bad Microsoft Bad Microsoft. Could you imagine though what that would be like? That would mean no need for boxes of computer games on store shelfs no more having to go to a store in person to buy programs. Its going to make the world  a whole lot more lazy than it all ready is.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

One could insert any technology company for "M$" above and it would be equally true.

It will be an awfully long time before the Windows ecosystem could possibly be completely rid of third-party, outside The Store players.  The embedded base is simply huge and I cannot even imagine a day when installed programs could or would be entirely replaced by apps.

Please, spare me the superfluous jargon.

Edited by sikntired, 06 March 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:25 AM

Exactly. It would be ridiculous for anyone to think that Microsoft will try to change the model that is in place today. Like britechguy said, the current system is too huge for Microsoft to try to undermine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

It doesn't have to be everything, only large scale games and that could be enough to swing everybody else to UWP.

Did you read the article from the Developer of Gears of War, Tim Sweeney. I don't take his views lightly.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

It doesn't have to be everything, only large scale games and that could be enough to swing everybody else to UWP.

Did you read the article from the Developer of Gears of War, Tim Sweeney. I don't take his views lightly.

I do.  The sky has been falling for some time now (decades, when you look at some quarters) and yet, it still hasn't crashed.

If I were a betting man I would not lay a single dime on Microsoft choking off the third-party market which has been as responsible for Windows being its golden goose as anything Redmond has ever issued has.  Also, having had a couple of careers now, including some niche areas with niche software, this is never likely to be produced as an item from The Store.   Take a look at any assistive technology that's really heavy-duty just for starters.  When you get into high powered CAD/CAM and beyond the scope becomes even larger.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,860 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Spare me the ridiculous condescension.  Think about the whole picture and it becomes immediately clear how ridiculous the premise initially mentioned actually is.

~ Mark Twain

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Spare me the ridiculous condescension.  Think about the whole picture and it becomes immediately clear how ridiculous the premise initially mentioned actually is

Ridiculous?? I think not. We all do not share your views as I would expect others to not share mine.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

Post #3 "It will be an awfully long time before the Windows ecosystem could possibly be completely rid of third-party, outside The Store players"

Unfortunately this is not technically true with windows 10. On windows 10 ms can issue, at any time they like, an update making any change to features that they like. It would be well within their technical capabilities to put out an update which disabled any third party programs and forced use of the store for everything. This means that the only defence against such a thing happening is ms's knowledge that by doing so they would anger (read infuriate to levels indescribable with polite language)the majority of their users, but given their current attitudes they don't seem to be very focues on providing users with the things the users want. The way things are going I would not say that such an action is impossible, it's certainly not technically impossible for it to be done, the question is infact "in their current position WOULD ms do it?".

Edited by rp88, 08 March 2016 - 06:45 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 fcwe1113

fcwe1113

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:04 AM

well i have nothing to say but that if this is true, they are ruining this money-making machine to a piece of crap that nobody cares

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users