Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attached Docker

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mcertini

mcertini

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

I am working on an 14.04 Ubuntu system.  A few days ago I noticed when looking at my ip addresses that a docker or container was attached to my system.  I am not familiar with these, though I did not see this when I initially installed Ubuntu.  Does anyone know what this is for and furthermore how I could get rid of it?

~moved to linux, myrti

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_PCNetSpec_*

Guest_PCNetSpec_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:08 PM

You must have docker.io installed .. you can see why docker creates a bridged virtual network interface named docker0 here:
https://docs.docker.com/v1.8/articles/networking/

If you have no intention of using docker containers, you can remove that network interface by uninstalling docker.io

sudo apt-get remove --purge docker.io

then if you want to clean up orphaned packages which will probably include aufs-tools and cgroup-lite:

sudo apt-get autoremove

Be aware, the "docker0" interface won't disappear from "ifconfig" output until after a reboot.

Also it would be a good idea to check what else the uninstall command lists as what it's going to remove before accepting the changes .. docker.io may have been installed as a dependency of something that you want to keep ;)

Edited by PCNetSpec, 07 March 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

Hi mcertini and :welcome: to BC and to the Linux and Unix Section! Hope you enjoy.

After you have followed the good advice above from PCNetSpec, there may likely be one file left remaining. If you are into housekeeping, or space-starved, you can get rid of it.

It will have a name something like this:

docker.io_1.6.2~dfsg1-1ubuntu4~14.04.1_amd64.deb

It will be in this area -

/var/cache/apt/archives

and might be accompanied by a bunch of other files (see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605768/hoovering-linux-housekeeping-benefits/  for more details on housekeeping.

If you wish to delete that one file only, your best bet is with a GUI-approach, initiated from a CLI (Terminal) start.

I am a little "rusty on Trusty" (Trusty Tahr - Ubuntu 14.04), and can't remember if it includes, in its File Manager "Files", the option to right-click and open as Administrator.

Doesn't matter. *.deb files are Root-owned, so require elevated privileges to delete.

At Terminal, type in and enter

gksu nautilus

... you may be prompted to install gksu, go with the flow.

Once into the new window, you can go to /var/cache/apt/archives, and delete the docker package.

Enjoy

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users