Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse & Keyboard don't work after upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

I upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago. But when I did, the mouse and keyboard didn't work.

In a previous issue I had during Windows 7, I discovered that I was able to use the mouse and keyboard during safe mode.

However, when I pressed F8 immediately when my BIOS came up, it didn't allow me to select safe mode! After doing another clean install (my second one last year), I looked online and found that safe mode is no longer accessible by pressing F8. To get to safe mode in Windows 10, I need to use the mouse and keyboard ...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

... which kind of negates the whole reason I'm trying to get to safemode in the first place!

Does anyone know what causes this problem, and how to fix it?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 750ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mars86

Mars86

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:56 AM

Windows 10 does not have the classic safe mode of prior operating systems. You have to enable that. The keyboard comes up during boot because the BIOS will recognize it. However your motherboard obviously doesn't. What are the exact specifications of your system?

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

I'm guessing you have some form of wireless keyboard and mouse.  You can buy a cheap wired mouse for as little as $5 and a keyboard for $10.  That's what I'd do.  FWIW you can enable Safe Mode in MSCONFIG using the Boot tab, but as Mars86 suggests, it's not the same Safe Mode as in earlier versions of Windows.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users