Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High memory usage/Notifications for certain amounts of memory usage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Maybe someone can direct me regarding what I might be able to do with regards to my having a sluggish browser (FF). Please don't say try Chrome because FF is indeed still better (Faster & much more customizable) !! :P That said...I seem to have  a problem with FF constantly getting "hung up" not responding) particularly after the memory usage from the browser rises above 600,000 k.I ALWAYS have anywhere between 50 to 125 tabs "loaded" but,not necessarily "loaded". Bookmarking all these tabs pretty much kind of sucks (Although,I do it).Hell..I don't even use the browsers actually bookmarking ....

.I have actually made two different folders on the book mark bar....one entitled  A-M and the other entitled N-Z !Not really thrilled with this either,though.I guess at this point I'm just kind of wondering  why someone hasn't maybe come up with an extension that maybe tells you when you reach a certain point of cpu usage within your browser so that you can at least then shut down & reload the browser.Or,maybe there's an even better solution ?????

At this point,I'd at least love to see that extension.It sure would help.As I've said...i generally have anywhere between 50 - 150 (sometimes more.Ive even had upwards of 225 tabs + open (Not all loaded though) at a time.I really would love to see an extension though (which I've never seen) that informs me when My memory usage reaches a certain point ! WHY hasn't someone invented this extension yet ??? :( :( :(

Again..as I've said,once FF reaches about 600,000 k memory usage that pesky "FF is not responding" message begins to appear even more frequently.It doesn't last for but about maybe 5-10 seconds but,still.....VERY "annoying" ! Anyone with any ideas would be very helpful !!

Thank you very,very much,Mr."Guitarfiend" ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

At this point,I'd at least love to see that extension.It sure would help.As I've said...i generally have anywhere between 50 - 150 (sometimes more.Ive even had upwards of 225 tabs + open (Not all loaded though) at a time.I really would love to see an extension though (which I've never seen) that informs me when My memory usage reaches a certain point ! WHY hasn't someone invented this extension yet ??? :( :( :(

Whaaat!!  225 tabs?? :crazy:  Methinks therein lies your problem.  Maybe you are expecting too much from an extension too.  It's not the job of an extension to monitor system resources.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

- Yes, opening that many tabs is good recipe for a slow system. Especially when also a number of other programs are running. Solution: reduce the amount of open tabs, reduce the amount of programs running.

- How much memory (RAM & Virtual) do you have ? Open "Resource Monitor" (memory tab) and see how the different parts of the memory (in use, modified, Standby, Free) behave.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,081 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:33 PM

I agree - close some tabs. If a tab exists, it is in fact loaded. 50 tabs = 50 Firefox sessions under 1 roof.

How does Firefox respond with just 1 tab open?

I use IE primarily except for video.  For videos, I do use Firefox and typically have 20+ tabs open.

However, my Firefox RAM usage is much higher than the 600 MB you mentioned (as a crash point).

Right now, Firefox is using 1900 MB and the Flash child process is using nearly 500 MB.

post-208009-0-03298600-1457145259.png

Attached File  03-04-2016.PNG   10.96KB   0 downloads

I don't know why your Firefox starts crashing at 600 MB except for possibly the number of tabs.

Edited by jcgriff2, 04 March 2016 - 09:40 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:05 AM

hahahaha... 225 tabs my pc lags in 50 tabs.

#6 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

I'd like to thank everybody for responding...mmmmmm.kay ?? ;) In the meantime,I'ma leave this tab open so's i can get back to you at another time & answer some of these question A BIT  more in depth (Damned caps button) :P

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,081 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

We'll be here!

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

FWIW:  You don't need to leave a tab open in order to easily access it in the future...all you have to do is either make it a favorite/bookmark...review your browser history...or just send a shortcut for that tab to the desktop.  You can also save that entire webpage as a file on the desktop.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users