Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly built PC crashing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vorte

Vorte

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

I built a new gaming PC a few weeks ago and it has been crashing ever since. It does not BSOD, it just reboots randomly. Sometimes it's minutes after booting, other times it takes a few hours. I check EventViewer after each reboot and it's always a Kernel-Power 41 with BugcheckCode 0. It used to crash while playing video games at which point I got a warning in the log just before the reboot stating "display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Now I still get games crashing with this warning but I can launch the task manager and kill the game, at which point the PC resumes working fine. The random reboots are still happening though.

Things I have tried so far:

- updating all drivers (even hotfix AMD GPU drivers)

- reinstalling Windows 10

- running memtest86 for 1 full pass - took 12 hours on 1 CPU out of 8, no errors

- running Prime95 - first run PC rebooted after 4 hours, second run was fine. I stopped it after 6:30 hours with all tests passing

- running FurMark - first time crashed after about a minute, then ran 3-4 times for 30 minutes without failure

- running ESET online scanner - no issues

- running Driver Verifier for 48 hours - bugcheck code was still 0 with a couple of reboots

- running SanDisk SSD diagnostics - a SMART extended test resulted in no errors

At this point I can only think of two options. It's either a Windows 10 - driver incompatibility or a hardware issue. Should I try installing windows 8.1 or linux? Otherwise, I'll need to return the failing hardware, I just can't identify it. Or could it be something else?

Edited by Vorte, 05 March 2016 - 07:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Sounds like a video card problem (despite it not crashing in Furmark).

Try this (actually the report isn't all that important, it's the last 2 lines that you should probably focus on):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Monitoring the temps should help out - especially if there's a video temp sensor.
Just keep an eye on it while playing and see if it starts getting above 80ºC - then watch it more regularly to see how hot it gets.

If the video card gets above 95ºC, then shut down and let it cool off. (at that point I assume it's an overheating issue).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

I've attached the report.

I read through the page. I am in scenario 2 or 3. I sometimes have to hold the power button but most times the computer reboots on it's own. As I said the BugcheckCode is always 0 and so is everything else in EventData including the PowerButtonTimestamp. The only thing I could think of is overclocking. My GPU is factory overclocked - Sapphire R9 380 4GB 1010MHz (up from 970MHz)

I use HWMonitor already. Temperatures are usually around 40 degrees idle and around 65 with load. FurMark managed to take this up to 72 but that's the highest I've seen. However, it is hard to monitor while gaming. How can I get the temperatures just before a crash?

Edit: Just happened again. I wasn't gaming, only browsing the web with a few tabs open. There was no sound this time so I heard the fans (CPU I think) spin up and then it just froze and rebooted a few seconds later.

Attached Files

Edited by Vorte, 05 March 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

I see a lot of errors in the Admin event log - but there's no real pattern to them.

Here's some further suggestions (even though you don't have these specific errors):

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

But, I think the easiest thing here would be to rule out a problem with the video card by trying another video card.

If you don't have another card, maybe you can purchase one from a shop that will allow you to return it (for your money back) if it's not needed?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Vorte

Vorte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

I am using GPU-Z for temps which keeps a log (attached) as well as displaying temperatures in real time.

I don't think the problem is overheating, could still be the GPU though. I have a few crashes recorded on the log and the temps are never over 60C. The last entry is a crash itself and the GPU temp is 29C.

This crash just happened now. I booted the PC, it froze on the windows login screen. I had to turn it of manually, then rebooted and it froze again a few minutes after logging in (the last log entry). I rebooted manually again and it crashed for a third time, again a few minutes after logging in, no gaming or anything, just reading the log and trying to type this post.

The third crash was an instant reboot (not a freeze like before) which lead me to a dual UEFI bluescreen (this happens sometimes), then a second reboot and then back to windows. It's been working fine for about 10 minutes now.

Attached Files

Edited by Vorte, 09 March 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

I'd suggest trying another video card.

If you don't have one to test with, you may want to purchase one from a shop that will let you return it for your money back (if it's not needed).

Also, you may want a second opinion from the experts in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users