Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Projects

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1983john

1983john

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:21 AM

Am planning to do a LINUX project for my final year engineering.
timeline-- 8 to 10 months
Anyone with any ideas please suggest project topics.
LInks will also b highly apppreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zoomer

Zoomer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:39 AM

It would appear that computing is becoming more and more portable. The trend seems to be for Operating Systems that run from a Thumb Drive or CD and data and other programs that are portable as well. I've been collecting information on the subject, (have a lot of links bookmarked in my Portable Firefox), and have tried a number of things. But it is all very new and no-one seems to have all the answers. It requires a lot of digging to make one thing work properly.

I think one of the biggest issues with all of it is security. To be portable its got to work in just about any machine you might find. But if you can make it work on a machine, you can probably do anything you want with that machine and its native system and data. That's kinda scary. The other thing that's scary is how do you protect your own system and data. I've had my ID and money taken from me in a bar - why not my Thumb Drive - it has my whole life on it.

Anyway, I'd like to see this matter pursued in an organized fashion. Consider it. It could be an interesting project and one well suited to Linux.
The package said "Requires Windows 95 or better" but when I tried to install it on my Linux box - it failed.

#3 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

How about a lightweight IDS or network pen tester that way when you finish you can have that for your future employee to drool over.....if you are into network security, I don't mean that you copy snort or nessus but something like that is in high demand these days, and if it is good.....can i have a copy ;)
Cheers, Lucent.

Edited by lucent, 16 August 2006 - 11:27 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:44 AM

universal software porter for all o/s...that's what I'd like.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users