Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Hangs in Normal Mode but not Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JackAmphlett

JackAmphlett

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before or if this is the wrong forum but ever since I tried to install the Catalyst 16.2 drivers for my AMD HD 6670 (the last set of drivers available for this card as it's now considered 'legacy') my computer has refused to do anything in normal mode and I have been using it in Safe Mode for the past few days.

On the day that it started, I went to sleep and woke up to find that the driver installation had failed and found my computer was running very slowly so I decided to restart it. When I restarted the computer wouldn't do anything at startup and would say 'not responding' if I tried to click anything. Although I sometimes managed to open up Windows Explorer, when I press download the bar you get when searching for files etc. to do with loading reaches the end and just doesn't do anything (staying in the libraries page).

I've followed a few instructions and completely uninstalled the drivers in safe mode, I've run MalwareBytes, I've run ESET's online virus scanner, and I've tried to run Avast's boot mode scan (it didn't work, it just booted into my normal mode on my computer which also, didn't work).

My computer is absolutely fine in Safe Mode and runs faster than I've seen it run in a while.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by JackAmphlett, 04 March 2016 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brandx

Brandx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

Catalyst should have created a Windows Restore Point. So, if you can get it to boot into safe mode, you should use system restore to rectify the failed Catalyst install.

Windows should have a workable driver for your 6670 in its driver database. You can also go to website of the maker of the card for the latest driver.

To make your PC work better out of Safe mode.

If you reinstall Catalyst to get your driver. I have found you can disable the AMD External Events in Services. 

You can use Blackviper.com to streamline you services.

You can use Autoruns http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/autoruns/ to slim down your start up applications.

#3 JackAmphlett

JackAmphlett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

Catalyst should have created a Windows Restore Point. So, if you can get it to boot into safe mode, you should use system restore to rectify the failed Catalyst install.

Windows should have a workable driver for your 6670 in its driver database. You can also go to website of the maker of the card for the latest driver.

To make your PC work better out of Safe mode.

If you reinstall Catalyst to get your driver. I have found you can disable the AMD External Events in Services. 

You can use Blackviper.com to streamline you services.

You can use Autoruns http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/autoruns/ to slim down your start up applications.

Thanks for the response. I can't actually find a Windows Restore Point, so that's a bit of an inconvenience.

Other than that, the 6670's latest driver is the 16.2 Catalyst Beta I think.

Thanks for the suggestions about those things though, I'll certainly try them if I can ever get my computer working again.

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that I can't actually install the video drivers in safe mode. It says detection driver error.

Edited by JackAmphlett, 04 March 2016 - 03:28 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

Presuming that you're running W8/8.1/10 you can try a REFRESH (W8/8.1) or a RESET using the Keep My Files option (W10)

That should get you back into normal mode.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 JackAmphlett

JackAmphlett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:58 PM

Unfortunately I'm on Windows 7. However, I was reading it may be something to do with the Display Driver Uninstaller not properly working because of something to do with TrustedInstaller or something (which doesn't appear anywhere in my group or usernames), not sure if that's got anything to do with it. I was also reading through my logs and many of the files like 'oem68.inf', whatever it is, won't delete. My logs are here: http://pastebin.com/CHc1tUif. EDIT: Just to inform you, these are not the first logs from when I first ran DDU that would've uninstalled/deleted everything that it could've, these are a 3rd/4th run. I do have all of my DDU logs available if you require them though.

Edited by JackAmphlett, 05 March 2016 - 01:01 PM.

#6 JackAmphlett

JackAmphlett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

I've fixed this now. I don't know exactly how I fixed it, but I did. I don't think it had anything to do with the drivers. I uninstalled CoreTemp and I edited my startup programs and services and went into diagnostic mode for a bit. Somehow I fixed it. Sorry that I can't post anything definite here.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:58 AM

"Nothing succeeds like success!"

Too bad you don't know what did it - but I'm glad that you've fixed it!

Thanks for letting us know.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users