Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edge Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CluelessJohn

CluelessJohn

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

After the last Windows auto update (3/01), MS Edge refuses to come up. However, looking at Task Manager, it shows it as a running app. When I look at  the App History from 2/03, it shows Edge  with a whopping 32:55:10 CPU time and 6,290.5 MB Network.  Processes showed 11 instances of Edge running and a 99% CPU memory. 

Rebooted.  Now, when I click  Edge , it shows up as a running app under Processes, but there is  no screen open anywhere with Edge. There is no yellow line under the icon in the tray nor does is
it say close window when I hover over the icon. 

I might add that I have a Bonjour Service, Event ID 100, occurring every minute of every day, but that's probably a separate issue.

Suggestions? And thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

I guess you're aware that there are other browsers you can use like Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox to name a few.  It does sound like something's gotten corrupted in your system so I'd open an administrative command prompt and issue this command: sfc /scannow .  If the problem persists, download MalwareBytes, get it up to date, and run a scan.  If neither of these helps, you could create another post in the Am I infected  forum.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

To fix the Bonjour error, uninstall it from Control Panel...Programs and Features.
If needed, Apple Software Update will prompt you to reinstall it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 CluelessJohn

CluelessJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

As to the Bonjour problem, the uninstall worked. I mistakenly thought that uninstalling iTunes would do it. Thank you, usasma.

I shut the computer down for the night and the next morning, Edge started working. ????  I had rebooted several times previously, but no joy. I should mention that IE 11 as well as Chrome were  working fine. A malware scan showed nothing. Thanks for the suggestions, Niweg.

I swear someone has put a curse on my computer. I suspect an old dark-skinned woman with one cloudy eye living in a Louisiana swamp somewhere  gleefully sticking pins through a photo of a Dell.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

As to the Bonjour problem, the uninstall worked. I mistakenly thought that uninstalling iTunes would do it. Thank you, usasma.

I shut the computer down for the night and the next morning, Edge started working. ????  I had rebooted several times previously, but no joy. I should mention that IE 11 as well as Chrome were  working fine. A malware scan showed nothing. Thanks for the suggestions, Niweg.

I swear someone has put a curse on my computer. I suspect an old dark-skinned woman with one cloudy eye living in a Louisiana swamp somewhere  gleefully sticking pins through a photo of a Dell.

Wow, that answers lots of questions. I wonder if we could get her on the forum.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:38 PM

"I swear someone has put a curse on my computer. I suspect an old dark-skinned woman with one cloudy eye living in a Louisiana swamp somewhere  gleefully sticking pins through a photo of a Dell."

If somebody finds her, maybe we could give her pictures of a few politicians we know.  :whistle:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

Aha!  This affirms my belief (from many years ago when I was first selected as an MVP in Networking) that networking is actually magic.  Probably black magic also, but definitely magic.

Thanks for clearing that up for us! :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users