Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios doesn't see upgrade ram

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

I bought a Dell Inspiron 2200 from EBay to tinker with. It runs great. Has 256 on motherboard and 1 slot for additional ram. I bought Sodimm 2700 512 ram and opened mem slot and slid in the ram. Pretty sure it seeded. Bios does not see the ram. I've tried a bunch of times and still nothing in bios. Ram is :
A-TECH. 512 DDR PC2700 SODIMM/333MHz
131 88037

And that's all written on memory module.

Running XP Home Edition just fine but would like to not depend on virtual memory and page file for mem.

Somebody please tell me if that ram is bad or I got sold the wrong one.

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2016 - 03:22 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

Everything seems right. It supports up to 1GB of RAM. 

Try sticking it in the first slot and removing the other stick that's already there. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:56 PM

If it runs OK with the single replacement DIMM & registers the correct capacity, try the DIMMS together in the alternate sockets. Some older systems wanted the larger capacity DIMM in the primary slot, the other way around stopped the hardware pages being allocated properly.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:04 AM

Everything seems right. It supports up to 1GB of RAM. 
Try sticking it in the first slot and removing the other stick that's already there.

The slot that works is on the mother board and I'm having trouble getting the case off. The other slot is on the back under a plate. I can easily get that one. I thought about that though. If I can get the case off, I will. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.

#5 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

If it runs OK with the single replacement DIMM & registers the correct capacity, try the DIMMS together in the alternate sockets. Some older systems wanted the larger capacity DIMM in the primary slot, the other way around stopped the hardware pages being allocated properly.

No it doesn't. The primary is on the motherboard under the case. It has 256. The second slot is empty. That is where I put the upgrade. It is easily accessible on the back under a plate. But I see your point. I need to take the case off and put the upgraded ram into the slot on the motherboard and the 256 in the secondary slot, correct.

#6 jacksgirljeanette

jacksgirljeanette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:10 AM

No it doesn't. The primary is on the motherboard under the case. It has 256. The second slot is empty. That is where I put the upgrade. It is easily accessible on the back under a plate. But I see your point. I need to take the case off and put the upgraded ram into the slot on the motherboard and the 256 in the secondary slot, correct.
. On registering the correct values, it does not see the second mem I insert on the back of the laptop under a small plate. The only ram that registers is the motherboard ram.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

Looks like that model has the 256MB permanently attached to the mainboard. Up to 1GB can be added to the single upgrade slot, for maximum 1280MB.

Double check the DIMM is fully inserted, if it still is not recognised, the DIMM could simply be faulty, or it could be the wrong density. How many black memory chips are there altogether on the DIMM?

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users