Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive junk files in Temp Folder

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mjnrnc

mjnrnc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

Hi everyone,

New member here, I have usually done fairly well at figuring out issues on my own with my various windows Computers.

One of them is running Windows Server 2011, I have been using it for about 3 years or so with no real issues till now. I should also mention I only use this system a few times a year when I travel away from home etc. It runs my video monitoring software and makes for a great way to retrieve video files while gone.

I have the OS on one drive and all the files get saved on a second drive. So "normally" the main drive has a constant 60gigs of free space. Well a week ago I fired up the unit saw everything looked normal and I headed to the airport. I started checking files etc and things worked fine for the first 2 days, then all of a sudden the surveillance software shut down but the PC kept running and stayed online as well. I could even pull down the files that had been created up to the point in which the software stopped running.

From that point I was dead in the water till I finally got home from my travels and could take a look. Well as soon as I opened up the Computer window and there was a RED line in main drive's free space indicator!  It said 0!

I started searching and searching through folders looking for the culprit and was about to give up when I saw nothing obvious. Then as I was about to shut down and remove the hard drive and SHOOT IT lol.. I took one last look through the windows folder moused over each file seeing how much space each was consuming and BAM, I get to the "temp" folder and its taking up 60GIGS!!!!!!  WTH????

Here's the deal, And to me this is WEIRD, Its filling up with  these various four digit cab_ files... and it does this in groups  so an example would be cab_3200_2 / cab_3200_3 / cab_3200_4 / cab_3200_5  all at say 2pm, THEN at say 5pm it will make cab_4520_2 / cab_4520_3 / cab_4520_4..... and so on and so on usually every 3 -4 hours.

Its doing this crap at a rate of approx 4 gigs a day! 

I can go in and delete the files and it goes away just fine and then sure enough it start all over again.

So does ANYONE know whats going on?  It would seem like there would be a way to make this stop. Or do I indeed have to wipe out my drive and reinstall all over again?

Thanks in advance for any input / help .

-Marc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

Log files growing in size under temp folder

Suggested Plan:-

============

From C:\Windows\Logs\CBS remove the overgrown CBS_persist.log file (You can cut them from this location and paste it to other drive with free space) note: I removed ALL files from here had to stop a service to get the cbs.log file to move/delete
Delete the files from the C:\Windows\Temp location (whatever you can gracefully remove)
Monitor the temp folder.

Taken from Microsoft Technet.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users