Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I soundproof my room? ( D. I. Y )

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shivang Goley

Shivang Goley

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

I want to soundproof my roof without buying any soundproof panels, bass traps etc. I just want to mount or place or displace any objects so that there will be no reverberation in my room.

I also heard that soundproofing acoustical foam will be a good idea to minimize it but I don't want to buy. Can I place or mount a simple thick foam on the walls? Or, What are the stuff that I need to remove inside my room?

The things that are placed in my room:

• Single Bed
  • Computer with sound system
  • Mirror facing just opposite to Computer with sound system.
  • Cupboard made of Furniture.

There are books kept nearby on the table but no Bookshelf and my CPU and sub-woofer placed under the table and above 1 LCD screen with 2 speakers.

The room has a measurement of ( 4.26 m * 3.35 m* 3 m ) ( l. b. h)

So please suggest me ways to improve sound insulation by soundproofing the room.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Reverberation can have many causes but if the problem is due to echo off the walls then a layer of foam will cut it down. I would also consider something like a curtain of failry heavy fabric over the mirror. Other things to look at are the way your speakers are mounted, these need to be on firm supports for best results. Acoustic lab type anechoic foam is not suitable for your needs - that stuff is bulky !

Other things to bear in mind. If this isn't your own room then I would speak to either your parents or your landlord before sticking foam panels up all over it !  And a final thought, a high quality pair of comfortable headphones might be a cheaper and simpler solution.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users