Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep off Reg Cleaners

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606948/program-opinion-from-quietman7/#entry3948320

Are there forum problems, as I  get timed out in 2 minutes
I asked quietman7 about http://privaZer.com/ and got a semi good report.

I ran it in "basic" noob mode, and followed the basic instructions.

It is Portugese ? but translated to English.

So I ran it with only basic dettings,and the REG CLEANER took over and has "borked some settings

A good job to reinstall over the weekend ??
My personal advice only, get 100% instructions, and then still stay away from it ........Snake Oil.......

Attached File  Capture.PNG   90.72KB   1 downloads

Regards ..

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2016 - 08:06 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

You didn't say, so I don't know if you found a way to turn off the registry cleaning component in PrivaZer.  I know when I looked I couldn't find an Off switch.  That said, if you went ahead and ran PrivaZer knowing there is no Off switch for the feature in question, then you are the only one to blame if your system gets screwed.

While we are on this topic, I want to draw some attention to something that has been going on.  Without calling names, I have seen several instances where a member has been dispensing advice to run PrivaZer (among other tools).  Yet, at no time have I seen a response from a moderator countering that advice in the threads in question.  Personally, I am experienced enough to differentiate between good and bad advice, but what about the less experienced?  Doesn't the absence of an authoritative response from Bleeping Computer countering such bad advice make it appear that that advice is condoned?  How does this reflect on Bleeping Computer's stance on registry cleaners and optimizers?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:21 AM

Before doing a reinstall I would do a System Restore to a date before the cleanup. If you placed any files on the desktop after the chosen restore date move them to My Documents.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

Thanks JohnC_21

Trying a reinstall / Restore date (if it works.

Regards

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

@ John_C21.

I seem to have regained most programs from the programs from prior to the program.

System Restore kept me well informed with most pre installed program, but a lot of recent updates were missing.

Adobe Reader and other programs went back 1 version, and now I only need a few minor updates to install.

I think Agouti had a few good ideas, and I followed his advice.

Thank You..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users