Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upload speed randomly drops to insane levels.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:32 AM

So I recently got a new router and modem (due to issues with them and huge slow downs, and disconnects).  With the new modem everything runs more or less fine if I connect directly (at least I didn't notice major slow down).  but with the router I will get some major slow downs on upload speeds.  Normally when i test it on Speedtest.net, I would get 57mbs download and 26 mbs upload but during these slow downs, I would get 57 mbs download and 1-2 mbs upload.  How do i fix this?

Note: I use a direct connection form my router to my computer.

Modem model:  motorola surfboard sb6141

Rounter model:  trendnet AC1200 dual band wireless router

Edited by CalusBlade, 04 March 2016 - 12:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

So I recently got a new router and modem...

57mbs download and 26 mbs upload...

57 mbs download and 1-2 mbs upload....

Note: I use a direct connection form my router to my computer.

Modem model:  motorola surfboard sb6141

Rounter model:  trendnet AC1200 dual band wireless router

Don't ever do this for any other reason, but temporarily connect the ethernet out form your modem directly to your desktop and run a test. Would help determine whether or not it's router related.

If it's still slow then it's the modem. If so, there nothing you can physically do yourself. You'd have to make a call to your ISP, give them the name and model number of your modem, and ask them to update the firmware for you (worth doing anyways actually). They don't have to send anyone out (don't worry), and will do it remotely as long as you keep your modem connected. Might have to turn your modem off and on afterwards for it to take effect. Am a little surprised it worked without you calling them in the first place. Some ISPs have a bunch of custom settings they need to load onto new modems before you can use their connection. 

If you test it and it's not the modem (the upload is fine directly connected, again, very unsafe to do that). Then report that and we'll work it out from there. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users