Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone tell me what this might mean?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pbeagle

pbeagle

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:55 PM

I don't want to merge this with the other thread and confuse things. I just need some basic questions answered from a Mac person. Help is greatly appreciated.

I need to make a boot disk for a PC, but via the iMac. It's all I have available. What I need Mac advise on is prepping that disk using Disk Utility.

So in this process I saw the label "/dev/disk1s1 in another app (it doesn't matter what app)... I assumed this referred to the iMac's main drive... I mean, it looks like a top level sort of label to a newbie like me.

But in getting the disk ready using some suggestions about formatting, I used disk Utility to redo the partitions into one large FAT partition labeled BOOTDISK. So far so good.

I decided to verify just for bleeps and giggles, and I got the report below, which is unremarkable except the label in the top line - /dev/disk1s1. Can someone clear up this labelling confusion for me? When I see that in other apps, is it referring to this USB or some other drive, like the mac's main drive? 

That is all I need to know. In the other app I need to select a usb drive, the same one I am prepping in this discussion. I thought the app wasn't seeing the USB drive but it looks like it has been all along and the confusion might have just been a label issue.

Verifying volume “BOOTDISK”Checking file system** /dev/disk1s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

77 files, 7811300 KiB free (1952825 clusters)

Thanks for your help!

Bleepingcomputer is a great site for online support.

Sadly, the issue I had wasn't solved, but most people who offered help

were very friendly and extremely patient.

Make it your aim to do something that will benefit another living being who may  not have the ability to repay the kindness. It doesn't take a lot, a mountain is not scaled in one giant leap, it is conquered one small step at a time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:17 PM

I have been studying this a little bit. I think the labeling of disk1s1 depends on how many disks and partitions the computer has. This is similar to linux where the naming is sda1...sda2.. which is two partitions on the first hard disk. You can verify your USB identifier by first attaching the USB flash drive then open a terminal and typing the following command

diskutil list

This will give you a list of disks on the computer along with their identifier (diskxsx) and will tell you if disk1s1 is your hard drive or USB

find-disk-identifier-diskutil-mac-osx-61

#3 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:45 PM

Oh, thank you very much!! It is a small but very important detail.

Make it your aim to do something that will benefit another living being who may  not have the ability to repay the kindness. It doesn't take a lot, a mountain is not scaled in one giant leap, it is conquered one small step at a time.

#4 pbeagle

pbeagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:58 PM

find-disk-identifier-diskutil-mac-osx-61

I got this:

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS MacHD                   499.2 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk1

1:                 DOS_FAT_32 BOOTDISK                8.0 GB     disk1s1

Big-Dawg:~ her_name_is$ 

So I am thinking from this that the disk1s1 IS the USB drive... that is the first good news in this mess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users