Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

driver needed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 suzzie22

suzzie22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

what driver does the cd tray use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

What is the problem? Optical drive drivers are included in Windows.

#3 suzzie22

suzzie22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:49 PM

after downloading windows 10 it will not run the cd tray at all. no disc at all no software,no cd-rw nothing. I figure it needs a driver. I have done the diagnostic check and it says everything is fine,its stupid,its not fine. i'll look for the optical drive driver,thanks 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

You will not find a driver for an optical drive.

Try the fixit here. Use the one for Windows 8.1. It should work for 10. If the fixit does not work then look at method 3, 4, and 5. Be careful when editing the registry.

#5 suzzie22

suzzie22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

didn't work,  can I get the driver online somewere and just download it?

I had a feeling something for free had to have some kind of bullbleep go with it. other than this issue I kinda like windows 10. 

thanks for the advice

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

Did you try the registry fixes in Methods 3 and 5? If you did and it did not work then I don't know what else to try and I do not know where you would find drivers for the optical drive. The drivers are part of the operating system and not available for download. 

You can try a Refresh but you would lose all your installed programs and there is no guarantee it would fix the problem. 

Edit: You could do a complete reinstall using a Windows 10 DVD or USB flash drive but, again, you would lose all your data and programs requiring you to backup your personal data.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:44 PM

Is there no reference at all to the optical drive in the Device Manager?

In the rare case that the drive is a strange one that does actually require a manufacturer supplied driver, we need to know what the drive is. Please provide all the information you can about the hardware - if the computer system is a brandname, the complete model number may suffice. Alternatively you could publish a system snapshot using Speccy:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 suzzie22

suzzie22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

In device manager under disk drives it has Multi Flash Reader USB device & WDC WDC6400AAKS-65A7B2ATA device. 

is that were the optical drive is listed?

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline s5000 desktop.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

That is your hard drive and card reader but your optical drive should be listed under the heading DVD/CDrom drive.

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to DVD/CD-Rom drives? If you do not see DVD/CDrom is your optical drive listed in UEFI/BIOS? Tap F10 at boot for UEFI/BIOS settings.

Your problem may be hardware related. Tapping Esc on a HP at boot will give you diagnostics but I am not sure if the diagnostics includes testing an optical drive. 

#10 suzzie22

suzzie22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:02 PM

I don't have DVD/CDrom in device manager and when I open setup it ask for a password which is different than the one I logon with so unless you can tell me the password I guess I can't find out if the optical drive is even listed. I'm lost

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:47 PM

Will the drawer open and close when you press the button on the drive? If not, the power cable may have come loose on the back of the drive.

s5000 is a series, can you find a specific model number such as s5601f...?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:58 AM

A totally missing optical drive in Windows, but with the drive visible to the BIOS, often happens after an upgrade install of Windows 10.

I don't know whether there is a cure for this while retaining keeping that upgrade nstallation, but after a completely clean install of Windows 10 the drive usually works again.

Edited by rqt, 05 March 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#13 suzzie22

suzzie22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

Anyone know were I can get a clean download windows 10? apparently the one I got is not a good one for sure.

I don't see anything but s5000

thanks

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,263 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

You can use the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

#15 suzzie22

suzzie22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

I did the reinstall,still don't work. I haven't used the tray for along time and I'm thinking it may be not working, I want to get another printer but if I can't install the software it will not do me any good.  

I have another Dell PC but I forgot my password,is there anyway to get in it without it? if I can get in it I will upgrade it to win 10.

Thanks for all the advice yall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users