Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Operating System Found and Can't Reinstall Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yatesmv

yatesmv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite S70-A running Windows 8.1 that's been working fine for two years. Recently, I've noticed that it's been running too slowly to use and there is some spyware that I couldn't remove, so I decided to reset my laptop. I backed up my files and used the 'Reset my PC' option inside the control panel. My laptop seemed to get stuck at 77% for nearly three hours, I called Windows Technical Support and they told me to try restarting it. 

Well, after the restart, the operating system couldn't be located. I tried the reset option in the Boot Menu, I tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 via a USB drive and a CD, but neither would work. I've received errors stating that the drive housing Windows is locked and that I need to unlock it to continue, and that the drive housing Windows could not be located. 

I would love to know how to 1) recover, or 2) reinstall Windows 8.1.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?  Normally you press F8 a few times after powering on to get to it.  In my case if that didn't work, I'd restore from my latest full system backup.  If you didn't make one, now you see why you should.  If neither of these solve your problem, you'll probably need to format that hard drive.  I believe there's an option to do that when you boot the Windows 8 install DVD.  If you do that, be sure to get all the drivers you'll need from the Toshiba web site.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 pbeagle

pbeagle

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

I KNOW!!!! WOot!! I just had to do this on a different model. :)

Win 8 has something called secure boot... it prevents other things from hijacking the machine during boot up. To reinstall you have to disabled secure boot. 

I think one of these will work

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/85143-35-toshiba-satellite-boot

https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

I hope it also explains using legacy setting for booting from an external source. That setting is also in the same menu under "boot" or something like that... it will say UEFI and you change it to legacy. I believe you also need to select the cd drive in the boot order menu in there. But the instructions should have it all.

Edited by pbeagle, 05 March 2016 - 07:41 PM.

Bleepingcomputer is a great site for online support.

Sadly, the issue I had wasn't solved, but most people who offered help

were very friendly and extremely patient.

Make it your aim to do something that will benefit another living being who may  not have the ability to repay the kindness. It doesn't take a lot, a mountain is not scaled in one giant leap, it is conquered one small step at a time.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:25 AM

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?  Normally you press F8 a few times after powering on to get to it.  In my case if that didn't work, I'd restore from my latest full system backup.  If you didn't make one, now you see why you should.  If neither of these solve your problem, you'll probably need to format that hard drive.  I believe there's an option to do that when you boot the Windows 8 install DVD.  If you do that, be sure to get all the drivers you'll need from the Toshiba web site.  

Good luck.

You cannot boot into Safe Mode in this manner.  With Windows 7 you could press the power button and then start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot options appears, they select Safe Mode.  

In Windows 8.1 the operating system boots too fast to implement the F8 method.  In order to boot into Safe Mode you must do the following.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Search.  When the Search charm opens type in msconfig.

msconfig will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.

Under Boot options click/tap on Safe boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

The next time you start the computer it will boot into Safe Mode.

Please note.  You computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode when it is started until you go back to System Configuration and remove the check in Safe boot.

You can also enable the F8 key to boot into Safe Mode in the boot sequence.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key together.  In the menu that opens select Command Prompt (Admin).

When the Command Prompt opens copy the command below, then press Enter.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

You will receive the message The operation completed successfully.

You will need to restart the computer for this to take effect.

Now you will be able to use the F8 key to boot into the Safe Mode option when Windows starts loading. 

Edited by dc3, 06 March 2016 - 09:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

Thanks DC3.  Admittedly my experience with Windows 8 is a bit limited.  I've run 7 and 10 a lot, but only ran 8.x more as a curiosity.  I knew about the Boot tab in MSCONFIG, but forgot that you couldn't use F8 with Win 8.  The same is true with 10 as well.  No doubt UEFI and secure boot have brought us into a new world!  :whistle:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users